Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane forced landing on Waldringfield Heath, 26-4 1940.

Thanks

Col

Thanks

L1984 yes Sgt Cecil John Cooney 56 Squadron on 29-01-1940

Incident might be from someone (maybe logbook) in Acknowledgement

Thanks

Col, Paul

Thank you both for your continuing help and interest. Having looked into the original notes I see the source attributed was 'Kinsey'. I had never heard of this author or his book previously.

For the 29-1-1940 accident I also have Sgt. Cecil John Cooney. The F.1180 records frozen snow was sucked into the supercharger air intake during a scramble against enemy aircraft. The Hurricane overturned on crashing.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

It appears Gordon Kinsey lived near Martlesham Heath as a youngster - I wonder if the source of the accident was himself!

Thanks

Paul,

I think you might be on to something there. At the least the date might be off.

There is another forced landing that fits very well - except for the date and the location ! On 23 April 1940 S/Ldr. Patrick Gifford in Hurricane L1934 of 3 Squadron (Kenley) was observing his unit conducting air firing practice at Dengie Flats in Essex. The engine cut out at 500 ft. and he was forced to land with the undercarriage partially up on marshy ground at Tillingham, near Bradwell-on-Sea. He was unhurt but badly shaken. The Hurricane was later repaired.
    Sources for Gifford's forced landing are; 3 Squadron ORB, the Form 1180 Aircraft Accident Card and 'SPITFIRES OVER SCOTLAND' by William Simpson (the biography of Pat Gifford).

I know the locations are some distance apart, but there are similarities. It is not inconceivable Gifford's landing became mixed-up with the supposed landing at Waldringfield. What do you think ?

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Martin,

Gordon Kinsey, simply oozed Suffolk. I can't believe he would make such a fundamental error of that magnitude about a very local incident. His informant on matters Waldringfield, was one, Canon Trevor Waller (Waller passed away in 1993).

http://www.eadt.co.uk/tributes_to_go...iety_1_3979194

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 2nd June 2016 at 14:45.

Thanks

Canon Trevor Waller

http://www.debenhamfamilyhistory.org.uk/g2/p2033.htm

"Between 1940 and 1945 Rev. Trevor Waller was a Sergeant in Churchill's Secret Auxiliary Unit, in the Debenham Patrol"

I know it a bit left field Martin, but why not contact Suzie Morley of that web site via email I know it a little way away but they might be able to help or know someone who does!

Paul

Thanks

Thanks Col and Paul,

Point taken about Gordon Kinsey. I will have to try other avenues.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

For anyone interested Gordon Kinsey five other books all published (I think) by Terence Dalton at The Lavenham Press.

Martlesham Heath 1975
    Aviation 1977
    Orfordness. A Secret Site 1981
    Bawdsey Birth of a Beam 1983
    Boulton and Paul Aircraft. The History of the Companies at Norwich and Wolverhampton 1992

I used to work for Terence Dalton and think Gordon Kinsey also wrote about Seaplanes but am not sure of the date of that one.

Regards. Pauline.

Thanks

Found it. Seaplanes. Felixstowe. First published 1978 reprinted 1985.

Pauline.