Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 149 Squadron 1944-45 Peter Harvey

Thanks

Default 149 Squadron 1944-45 Peter Harvey

Hi All
    I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm looking for information about Peter Harvey and 149 Squadron for the last year of the war. He rarely spoke of it but appear to be involved in navigation. He went on to work for related aerospace industries after the war, sadly dying in 1981 aged 56.
    Thanks in advance for any information.

Thanks

I have looked at the index of the book: Strong By Night, which is the sqn history as published by Air Britain and I could not find Peter Harvey in the that index.

You don't say whether you are related to Peter Harvey or have connections with his family. However, the key to much about this man will be his Record of Service and this can be obtained and will give you a framework for all else.

If you believe that he was probably a navigator, then the sqns RAF Form 541 will record training and operational sorties flown and will hopefully list the crew in detail.

Do you have access to any of Peter Harvey's personal papers, log book, memorabilia or anything which might allow you to start building a picture of his life in the RAF? Are there any letters or surviving family who can help you.

I have a record of a Pilot Officer Peter Harvey 188491 being awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with 149 Sqn on 17 April 1945 and I shall do a check later to see if I can find a citation.

Hope this might get you started.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Colin
    Many thanks for your post. I had seen that book mentioned and wondered if he would have been mentioned.
    Peter Harvey was my father. We do have some old papers which I will have to hunt out of my brother's loft.
    He only turned 18 in July 1944 so it would have been a short war for him. In common with many he did not talk about it to his children.
    Only that he was in the RAF and did navigation. I think I found the same record as you have on another site which narrowed my search to 149 squadron.
    If you do find any more information that would be great.
    Many thanks again.
    FionaHar

Thanks

Hello

The Squadron Operations Record Book confirm the D.F.C. award in the form 540 (awards section) for April 1945. Trade is not given. Other members of the Squadron in that section are :
    DFCs for
    F/L G.W. MEADOW
    acting F/L J. SHEPERD
    F/O H. PENDER
    P/O S.R. McLaughlin (NZ)
    W/O (now P/O) P.E. KELLY (Aust)
    DFMs for
    F/Sgt K.G. CRAWFORD
    Sgt (now P/O) G.E. REAY

In case any of these names rings a bell...

I've trawled through the part of that O.R.B. that I have (February to June 1945) but I haven't spotted him. It's difficult as it's tens of pages to check, so I can have missed him. But I'd rather think that he flew with them earlier than this, so probably in 1944.

149Nut should be able to expand, if he sees this thread.

Regards

Joss

Thanks

P/O Peter Harvey was a Navigator in the crew of F/O K. Goldie, First op Mont Candon on 2nd Aug 44, and appear to have flown their last op with 149sqdn on 11th Jan 45.
    Last edited by AlanW; 26th May 2016 at 16:41.

Thanks

FionaHar,

The award of a DFC is very significant for a host of reasons, which I shall not rehearse here.

Where are your father's medals? They are both valuable as to face value and for the significance they represent.

Others have indicated that he flew a tour of operations over a 5 month period and these will be recorded in his log book and in the sqn's Form 541.

I can see a most interesting and rewarding piece of research for you, if you decide to take it forward: I urge you to do so!!!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    P/O Peter Harvey was a Navigator in the crew of F/O K. Goldie, First op Mont Candon on 2nd Aug 44, and appear to have flown their last op with 149sqdn on 11th Jan 45.
    F/O K. Goldie = AUS418746 F/O (later A/F/L) Keith GOLDIE RAAF (later DFC - LG: 22-5-1945 p.2625) - 30 ops with 149 Sqn [2-8-44 - 11-1-45] - 27 on Stirlings, 3 on Lancasters.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 26th May 2016 at 23:18.

Thanks

Hi Col,
    Have got 23 ops on Lancs so far for Goldie with 149sqdn after a quick look (off to work) but will check for more when i get back.
    Alan.

Thanks

Perhaps the other way round?

Stirlings a few and Lancasters most

Thanks

Alan,

Noted - misread Goldie's P/P 150. 27 hrs on Stirlings, 113 hrs on Lancasters, total 140 hrs/30 ops.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetri...aspx?B=5250054 see: p.38 of 42.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 27th May 2016 at 07:11.