Thread: Robert O'Donovan, Service Number 1798357

Thanks

Default Robert O'Donovan, Service Number 1798357

Hello, am trying to find out some info about my dad's time with the RAF. He served from 1/7/43-12/5/48. I have his release book. Also wondering what "F/F" (Air Crew Category and/or RAF Trade) means?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Eileen, Hi - and welcome to the Forum.

Your Dad's Enlisted Number (1798357) is right at the end of the number block 1700001-1800000. This block was for Deferred Service - i.e. they had Registered but not been Called Up. This could be for any number of reasons (finishing University (or similar) Degree, Apprenticeship, or even the RAF induction and/or Basic Training system was overloaded!). That number does not come up in the London Gazette so it is unlikely that he was Commissioned, or received any Award (gong!).

However, as in all these requests, the answer(s) lie in his Service Record. This can be obtained from RAF Cranwell by following the instructions in https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records. It will cost 30 and take about a couple of months to appear. It will be full of strange/arcane acronyms, initials, short-forms, etc, etc. Do not fear - there are many on this forum who will help you to decode them.

Don't know what "F/F" might mean! But somebody on the Forum will know - you just have to hope (s)he reads your post!

HTH

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 25th May 2016 at 13:25. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter, thanks so much for the information. I'll follow the link you attached.

Thanks again!
    Eileen