Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Missing servicemen unknown to the CWGC

Thanks

Default Missing servicemen unknown to the CWGC

Gentlemen,

Does any-one have any scrap of information regarding the following Commonwealth servicemen, that appear to be unknown to the CWGC:

1. Cocke, RAF, washed ashore 21-06-1942 in Holland. A servicenumber was found, Nr. 1078942. The servicenumber should have led to instant identification after the War. It did not. There may be something wrong with this number, or the person is not registered by the CWGC. No matches were found for Cock, Cocke, Cook, Cooke and any spelling deviation of the number 1078942.

2. A body washed ashore 19-06-1944 in Holland, identified as RAF with a single upright wing on the left breast pocket, letter(s) unreadable. Had two Canadian dollarcents in a pocket. In the shirt collar was written 'A. GENTIE'. It was assumed that this was a persons name, not a clothing label, but the IWGC decided on 27-08-1951 that an identification could not be made. No matches in 1943 up to 19-06-1944 for the word 'GENT' in the CWGC database in combination with a missing aviator. Closest comes F/Lt. Paul Treneman Sargent RCAF, MIA 17-10-1943, but this match is not convincing. Alternatively, can any-one identify the text 'A GENTIE' as a clothing label, perhaps written as 'A GENTLE'?

Thanks

Hello Rob,

What a puzzle!

Do you know on what part of the coast these bodies were found?

I looked up the number that you had studied and I only note that the number (1078942) was issued at Cardington and Padgate in September 1939. I guess you may know this.

Hope you get some answers,
    'Digger'

Thanks

Thanks, Digger. I am not aware of that servicenumber having been issued in any particular place, and would certainly like to hear more about that, if possible. Is there an easy way to look up such data?

The body marked "Cocke" washed ashore on Texel, the body marked with "A Gentie" on Ameland, both belonging to the Frisian Isles in the North Sea, North of The Netherlands. The exact locations on the Isles where the bodies washed ashore are recorded, if you would need these.

Thanks

Rob,

Resmorah has posted the answer to your query about service numbers in the Research section of RAFC. The page you need is at http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27

Brian

Thanks

Hi Rob,

I was thinking abou some Czechoslovak airmen with the RAF who bacame missing over the sea but the service number is to high and the details for the other one also does not fit.

Sorry

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks, Brian, again most useful. The next thing that we need is to know where the link between number and person was recorded, if not with the IWGC/CWGC.

Thanks

Gentlemen,

Another name of a casualty recognized as RAF, whose body washed ashore 30/08/1943 in Denmark, that cannot be matched with CWGC data. Report of Danish Police to Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs: 30/8/1943 - Sogaard Foreshore, Holmsland Klit, Ringkobing Police Circuit, supposed English airman, name possibly Kueleman or Kvelemann, in trousers typewritten "So'ton - 4/6/40 - Y - Leeflang", buried Esbjerg A/9/16. Esbjerg 1943 cemetery register: "English airman (Unknown), buried 4/9/1943, grave A/9/16. Nymindegab" (is place of washup on the DK North Sea coast, North of Esbjerg). Source: Finn Buch, DK.
    So'ton = Southampton? No Kueleman, Koeleman of Koelman known to OGS or CWGC. Not German, US, Belgian Dutch or Polish either. NO CWGC Casualty Register matches using "kue", "kve" or "koe" as entries.

Am still looking for a list that matches RAF service numbers to names of individuals. Say a phone book for service numbers. Such a list must have existed, because without that the Missing Research & Enquiry Service would have been faced with an even more difficult task than they already had. I feel sure that such data must still exist somewhere. Anybody any ideas?

Thanks

Default Missing servicemen unknown to the CWGC

Hello Rob,

Concerning Kueleman or Kvelemann.

Suppose this is an extract of my correspondence with Hans Nauta for some years ago. Since, no new details from my side.

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Thanks, Finn. Actually it comes from a discussion between you & me, not Hans. Trying to fire up these coldest of cases...

Rob

Thanks

Hello Rob,
    Thank you for replying.

The list I have of Service Number Allocations was given to me a very long time ago, it must have been copied from "The Orders and Medals Research Society" , this is at the heading.

Thanks for the information on 'The body marked 'Cocke'', when you say 'marked', was it on a document or a grave headstone ? Sorry to ask so many questions, it is that I am trying for background on your research to date.
    Cheers,
    'Digger'