Thread: Flight Lieutenant W F Halliwell - POW

Thanks

Default Flight Lieutenant W F Halliwell - POW

Hi

I wonder if anyone can provide any detail on a Flight Lieutenant Halliwell a fighter pilot shot down in the middle east. I believe he was initially held by the Italians for 2 years before falling under German control when Italy Capitulated. He was then held at Stalag Luft 1. I'm interested in which Squadron he was with and the circumstances of him getting shot down.

Many thanks

Daz

Thanks

Hello,

Probably:

1050080 Sgt G. F. Halliwell, No.80 Sqn. FTR 12-12-1941 - Hurricane I Z4031 - PoW.

See:History of the Med Air War 1940-1945 Vol. One/Shores et al. pp.386, 389 & 432.

and...

http://www.merkki.com/PageH.htm

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 27th May 2016 at 16:23.

Thanks

The only Halliwell on the Forum PoW list is "Halliwell G F 1050080". That is an Enlisted number (issued Cardington/Padgate Sep 39). His rank (on one site) is given as Warrant Officer (ref TNA WO 392/8).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Daz

Not sure if this is of help or not, but the P.o.W. database on here has a G F Halliwell, service number 1050080:

http://www.rafcommands.com/Ross/Air%...ery%20H_1.html

However, if you Google "Halliwell 1050080", you get F/Lt W F Halliwell, Stalag Luft 1:

http://www.rafinfo.org.uk/rafexpow/S...rsncos_SL1.htm

However (again, just to confuse things even further...) Air 78/68 has George Fraser Halliwell, service number 1050080.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thank you all, the letter that I have seen, which was sent by a prisoner in the same room at Stalag Luft 1 refers to him as George and then goes on to say "George the Englishman is my best friend, a F/Lt fighter pilot shot down in the M East and was POW for two years in Italy before they capitulated, is one of the old school and like all fighter types is a bit mad, comes from Wallesey near Liverpool." so I think that this is the right chap.
    I've now got to track the other fighter pilot but I'm not holding out took much on this one as all I have to go on is that he was also a fighter pilot shot down in the M East in Feb 44 and called Syd!

Thanks again
    Daz