Thread: Information on 9, 99 & 104 Sqn bomber crash area's requested

Thanks

Default Information on 9, 99 & 104 Sqn bomber crash area's requested

Gentlemen,

The following bombers were lost, probably at sea, possibly the North Sea, but it would help to know more than that, for an identity claim of a RAF airman buried as unknown:

1. Wellington Mk. III Nr. X3411, 9 Sqn, from RAF Honington, raid on Essen. Airborne 00.28h, 09-03-1942. Ditched in the North Sea.

2. Wellington Mk. II Nr. W5417 EP-F, 104 Sqn, from RAF Driffield, raid on Emden. Airborne 18.38h, 15-01-1942 from RAF Driffield. Lost without trace.

3. Wellington Mk. Ic Nr. L7873, 99 Sqn, from RAF Waterbeach, 15-11-1941, 17.20h. Raid on Emden. Lost without trace.

Thanks

Default X3411

Not much Rob, but perhaps the remark that P/O (Obs) R.P. Hoult - 106534, was rescued from the sea after 33 hours by a passing trawler and brought to land at Lowestoft.

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Rob

W5417 is just recorded in 104's ORB as 'Missing'. No sea search is mentioned as having taken place.

Eddie

SimonM Guest

I just came across this forum after searching for info on wellington W5417.

There does seem to be something odd going on (or the aircraft was somehow put back into action after another crash).

My friends grandfather flew in W5417, looking at a copy of his logbook in front of me. This is the entry.

Date - 15.5.41
    Hour - 22:30
    Aircraft type and No. - Wellington W5417
    Pilot - Sgt Alcock, Sgt Goodwin
    Duty - Front gunner
    Remarks - Operations Cuxhaven. Crashed near Malton.
    Flying times - Night, 6.00.

I am getting my friend to check the damage in the crash with his grandfather. Although he is sure that of the three crashes his grandfather was involved in they all resulted in the aircraft being a total write off. But I am double checking this.

I'm no expert on aircraft. But is it possible for, say, a Wellington Mk1 to have a serial of W5417, crash, and then a Mk2 later on to be designated the same number?

Thanks

Thanks, Simon. Aircraft serial numbers are supposed to be unique. Aircraft code letters within a Squadron could be transferred to replacement aircraft, but not the serial numbers.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Hello Simon,
    I am very interested in the crash your g/father was in (Wellington W5417. I have a project on a NZ member 'missing' from that aircraft in 1942

Sound's as though the aircraft was not written off in your g/fathers crash, interesting.

Cheers
    Digger