Thread: Master Bomber Identity Required August 1944

Thanks

Default Master Bomber Identity Required August 1944

Hi all,

Looking for the identity of the Master Bombers on the following raids in August 1944.

9th August 1944 Fort D' Engles Fuel Dump
    11th August 1944 Lens Marshalling Yards
    12th August Russelsheim

Thanks in advance

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hello Steve,

Not an answer to your question, which interests me for the first two targets which are local for me, but the correct spelling is Fort d'Englos.

It's actually not in the village of Englos, but in the nearby village Ennetières-en-Weppes. It's also known locally, but only from recent years, after the name of the chief engineer / architect in charge of its construction. It can be visited.
    http://www.ennetieres-en-weppes.com/.../fortpierquin/

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss,

Typo on my part I'm afraid.

Interested in any details on the two raids if you have any.

Kind regards

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Fort d'Englos on Aug.9th was 156 Sqn, MB was S/L MR Attwater, DMB was W/C TL Bingham-Hall. Callsigns were BRUNETTE & BRUNETTE TWO, abandon mission was VEAL CUTLET. The Oboe markers target errors on this target were estimated to be 25 yds and 167 yds from the aiming point.
    Lens on the 11th was 635 Squadron but I have no information on the MB or Deputy. Callsigns were SMOKIE & SMOKIE TWO, abandon mission was MARMALADE.
    Russelsheim (targeting the Opel works) on the 12th was 582 Sqn. MB was W/C Peter Cribb, DMB was W/C Brian McMillan, callsigns were BLACKTIE AND BLACKTIE TWO.
    Cheers
    Dave Wallace
    Last edited by David Wallace; 31st May 2016 at 18:33.

Thanks

Dave,

Thank you mate, W/Cdr Peter Cribb what squadron was he mate ?

Regards

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

He was the O.C. 582 Squadron as of July 1944. An interesting observation about him in "Master Bombers" by Sean Feast.
    "Cribb's bravery in the air was matched by his eccentricities on the ground. In the air, he had proven his consistent bravery over a sustained period of operations. On the ground, he had been known to take pot-shots with his service revolver at the light bulb in his room, rather than use the switch." His batman would bring him tea in the morning and ask "Shall I reload Sir?"
    Last edited by David Wallace; 1st June 2016 at 01:08.

Thanks

Hello

Thanks David for the useful details. I'll message you as one of the images you sent me about 26th September 1944 marking became corrupted... nothing important.

Steve, nothing that you don't have about the Fort d'Englos raid. No. 3 Group ORB which you know better than me, and a couple of Squadron ORBs which cover the period. I'll have a look in the french records that I've accessed to see what I have about that raid.

About the Lens M/Y daylight raid, I've done some specific research about the case of bomb aimer Harold CRAMPTON (RNZAF), No. 514 Squadron, who was thrown away from the nose compartment of his Lancaster (LL697 A2-B2) when she was struck by a bomb dropped by another Lancaster. He initially flew with S/L William George DEVAS, but in mid-june 1944, DEVAS was promoted to W/C and took over No. 115 Squadron. The headless crew was then taken over by W/O William Douglas BRICKWOOD.

CRAMPTON's body was found in what is now the commercial center area "Lens 2", and was buried in Loos-en-Gohelle cemetery. He was replaced in the crew by Robert James RIGDEN. The crew was lost during the night 12/13 September, RIGDEN and flight engineer TURNER were the only survivors.

Joss