Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Group Reconnaissance Flight

Thanks

Also I would also like to correct the impression given earlier in this thread that No. 2 GSU was some sort of passive holding unit. It may have held reserve stocks of aircraft relevant to the Group in question against attrition in Europe, but I think its primary function was to accustom aircrew (mostly pilots) intended for operational service with 2 Group in or flying over Europe to the latest operational equipment, procedures and particularly operational tactics in that theatre, to give them a slightly better chance of staying alive just that little bit longer. They should have been capable of taking their place in the frontline squadrons and have at least a vague idea of what they were up against, and might perhaps be mentally equipped to be able to survive for just that little bit longer.
    David D

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Sturtivant (FT&SU 1912+, 2007, p.161(of my printing)) definitely has an Entry Header of:-

No.2 GROUP RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHT

HTH

Peter Davies
    Hi Peter,

I meant primary documentation. The movement cards qouted don't say "Reconnaissance" only "Rec". I wonder where Sturtivant got his information for this entry from.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

I believe Sturtivant used as his main source the SD155 documents, which show the planned/actual formation and disbandment dates of units on a monthly basis. These documents tend to show the full name of a unit not an abbreviation so I would have thought that if he wrote 'No 2 Group Reconnaissance Flight' that is what was shown in SD155.

Malcolm

Thanks

I have no axe to grind. I simply reported what was printed. Sturtivant also uses the phrase "appears to have been a top secret unit". It is Aug 1943 when it appears for the first time? That is 10 months before OVERLORD. I go along with David D's ideas (post #11). The Planners would, by then, have had a good idea of the likely areas/targets/distances. It would seem to be a good idea if the aircrew (and their immediate execs) were given an idea of what they were going to be asked to do, and how (even if, for security reasons, they couldn't be told where/when)?
    HTH
    Peter Davies

PS Might this not have been an introduction to the "Cab Rank" procedure (which had been so successful in N Africa and Italy) which many UK based crews would not have been trained in?
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 2nd June 2016 at 14:08. Reason: Subsquent 'PS', and QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter's post (#14) prompted me to think outside the box. 2 Group transferred from Bomber Command to 2nd TAF on 1 June 1943, preparatory to the invasion of Europe (http://www.rafweb.org/Organsation/Grp01.htm). I wonder if 2 Group Reconnaissance Flight was provisionally established in anticipation of support for 2nd TAF operations, but then found to be surplus to requirements.

Brian

Thanks

Brian,

2 Group did not transfer to the 2nd Tactital Air Force on 1 June 1943, it helped form the basis of the "Tactical Air Force", on that date. The Tactical Air Force, formally became the 2nd Tactical Air Force on 15 November 1943.

Col.

Thanks

I did a little digging yesterday and suspect that Swanton Morley was home to this unit. Both Bostons and Mitchells operated out of Swanton Morley at that time under 2 Group, and even though the REC flight (whatever it actually means) was not listed anywhere in the 'Location of Units' file there was no other base with both aircraft operational in 2 Group. There is another clue: 4 RTS was a hush-hush unit and it looks like they were at Swanton Morley at the same time, but they also do not appear in the 'Location of Units' record.
    There were a LOT of Met men in and out of Swanton Morley around September/October '43, perhaps someone else will know the significance of this.
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Bruce,
    Last sentence yr post is intrigueing!! The Met Team will have a shufti around. Don't suppose you have any names do you?
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I concur with Peter, Bruce - what is the source of a LOT of Met men in and out of Swanton Morley? So far as I can determine there was a standard met observing/forecast set-up at the airfield.

Brian

Thanks

Thought that might get a reaction. The base ORB is the source and it has names. My feeling when I read it was that a course of some type was held there but these fellows were recorded in the 'postings' section of the ORB which I believe was not the usual routine for attendees of courses unless they were operational on the business of the base (please correct me if this is wrong). I will copy the months in question and send them to you both next week.

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS