Thread: AUS291966 F/L Dudley Tabor EVERETT RAAF

Thanks

Default AUS291966 F/L Dudley Tabor EVERETT RAAF

Hello,

Seeking further information on the following incident:

3-5-1943
    Central Flying School, Trenton, Ontario.
    Harvard II 2875

Took off RCAF Trenton, to carry out a solo practice flight, involving sequences 6,7 & 8. Aircraft crashed at Ameliasburg, approx 6m south-east of Trenton. Pilot killed. Cause obscure.

AUS291966 F/L Dudley Tabor EVERETT RAAF +

Everett buried, Trenton (St. George's) Cemetery, Ontario.

Have NAA, Storr etc.

Was there an inquiry into this accident? Further details would be most appreciated.

Col.

Thanks

Col;

Several years later I am researching this one myself, and can report that there is no accident investigation on file (unless it is misfiled, several are), and no record of the accident in the CFS Daily Diary for this date - although the School strength of Harvard II went down by 2 that month. On a hunch I checked 3 May 1942 and 3 May 1944, plus two months before the date in 42, 43 and 44, and found nothing. Could your man have been with another Harvard user at Trenton? 1 CTS, Air Armament School, 1 FIS?

Thanks

On ancestry.com Canada, War Graves Registers (Circumstances of Casualty), 1914-1948 for Dudley Tabor Everett

There is a long paragraph, may or may not be new to this, stating:

Flight Lieutenant Everett was visiting Trenton Station en route to the Empire Flying Training School, England, when he was killed in an aeroplane accident while taking asolo flight. The cuase of the accident is obscure; either one of two things, physical failure on the part of the pilot, or structural failure on the part of the aircraft. There is no evidence to substantiate the latter but some evidence to indicate the possibility of physical failure on the part of the pilot.

And in another box:
    The aeroplane accident was in the township of Ameliasburgh, Prince Edward County, Ontario, Concession I - Lot 71.

Looking at that, I guess the text appears in his A705 file.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

If anything Dennis, that broadens my search. A visiting dignitary could have been offered a loaner from the base flight, a Command com flight, or even one just out of overhaul at 6 RD. Trenton then (as now) was one of the biggest RCAF bases. So far I can rule out 1 FIS, as there is no Dairy entry of a crash on 3 May 1943. The digging continues.

Thanks

Hello Bill,

I can tell you that there was an Official Court of Inquiry into Everett's accident. A copy of the proceedings was sent by the RAAF A.L.O., A.V-M Stan Goble to the Department of Air in Melbourne on 9-12-1943. These proceedings where removed from Everett's A705 on 31-3-1944, by one F/L Shallard RAAF and not returned to that file. Where they are now, I have no idea.

Everett arrived in San Francisco on 12-4-1943, he would hardly had time to see much of Canadian training establishments (the object of his stopover in Canada), in fact he was only on Trenton station for a day or two before his death.

He was not a member of any Canadian unit, as mentioned earlier, he was in transit to the UK to take up a posting at the Empire Central Flying School in the UK. He had been granted special permission to engage in the practice solo flight which led to his death. All indications are, the Harvard was on the strength of the Central Flying School, Trenton.

Dennis, Thanks for your contribution. I need to locate the proceedings of Everett's Court of Inquiry for a more definite explanation.

Col.

Thanks

So far I have ruled out CFS, 1 CTS, and 1 FIS, all Harvard users at Trenton. Just a small note, all the Diaries from Trenton for 3 May 1943 report no flying before 13:30 local due to poor weather.
    Last edited by Bill Walker; 3rd June 2016 at 01:18.