Thread: RAF Brazilian Uniform Shoulder Titles WWII

Thanks

Default RAF Brazilian Uniform Shoulder Titles WWII

Born in Brazil
    Volunteered to serve in the RAF (London) 1941
    Served in Bomber Command 1941 - 1945
    Served RAFVR (T) 1945 - 1980

Would this man have worn Brazil on his uniform shoulder title at any time. I have done some searching on the subject but failed to gather much finite information.

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Michael Bentine, the comedian and raconteur, served in the RAF and came IIRC from Brazil or another south American country.

When researching for a presentation I gave to the RAF Historical Society, in which I described the cosmopolitan nature of those serving in the RAF, I remarked that I had found reference to Bentine wearing an appropriate shoulder flash.

However, I suspect that post-war the international distinctions did not survive long and apart from RNZAF, RAAF etc I have never seen non commonwealth country flashes on an RAF uniform, although the self governing colony of Rhodesia wore shoulder flashes, their uniform was distinct in other ways.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin.
    Your comments are most valued and do fall into other thoughts on the wearing of these shoulder titles. The forum appears to have an expert on Braziliam matter Adriano who has posted here, I have contacted him but await any response.

Thanks

Dear Colins (Pateman and Cummings),

I am NO expert, please! Just have been researching about the Brazilians and foreigners who sailed from Brazil to serve the RAF in WW2, during some time. There is, sadly, NO oficial list, since some of the earlier volunteers have sailed by themselves, before Brazil joined the Allies, in August 1942, after several ships were torpedoed by Italian and Kriegsmarine submarines on our huge coast.
    Indeed Cummings, the pictures of Brazilian volunteers wearing those BRAZIL patches are extremely rare and scarce to find. I have seen some and found some, mostly on mid 1942 volunteers. The South American Volunteer House was established in June 1943. Before that, there was "The River Plate-London Comittee" that took care of all South Americans that sailed to enlist (women and men). I have seen too, some pictures of CHILI volunteers wearing their patches and do have some of those pics on my unfinished work (6 volumes and, so far, some 1,300 written pages). However, have not seen the earliest Brazilian volunteers wearing them on their shoulders, men like Robin McNair, Cosme Lockwood Gomm, etc...Be aware, that some, like Gomm entered the R.A.F. in the mid 30's, before the war....some, like the sole George Cross Brazilian winner, was a former WW1 RFC veteran!
    To wear those shoulder patches before August 1942 could have caused some kind of Diplomatic problem, from what I have read and understand. This is why there is NO official list of those volunteers...one have to dig out here and there to find them all....
    A lot of those Brazilians were awarded the DFC. Rarest are the DSO and GC winners, as well as the DFM winners....
    Most humbly yours,
    Adriano Silva Baumgartner, ASV 00.344 (former Brazilian civilian pilot - turboprops only)