Thread: broadheath,altrincham ,munitions depot ?

Thanks

Default broadheath,altrincham ,munitions depot ?

hello all
    urko here,new member.
    can anyone shed some light on the above location.the place was used in both world wars and after.as kids ,we used to pick live rounds up off the floor here(in the late 70s).it had about 4 large hanger type buildings,at least 2 pillboxesand was fed by a railspur.
    cant seem to find anything out on local info sites,can any one point me in the right direction ?
    thanks
    urko

Thanks

Urko,

It seems that No 2 Maintenance Unit was based at Broadheath, Altrincham during the war years. The Anglo-American Oil Depot is mentioned as well (fire in 1940), but I don't know if this was located on the same grounds.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

thanks leendert. i know it was some kind of ammo depot and there were billets and houses built for the R.A.F.. dont think there was any fuel on the site.had its own fire station though.i went for a look about 12months ago.not much there now ,but i can still remember bits of it from my childhood.i can remember finding piles of concrete cylinders with steel caps on.they looked like big thermos flasks with numbers stenciled on in black.we used to think they were bombs.they were different sizesand there are stil some there.anyway thanks for that,ill see if it helps
    cherrs urko