Thread: RAF Name Tags introduction

Thanks

Default RAF Name Tags introduction

Hi all,

I would like to ask for help with answer when Name Tags were introduced by the RAF?
    I have an officer photo taken in 1971 where he is wearing a Name Tag on his desert uniform (red with white writing).
    I am interested when those were introduced to indentify other photos where he has also the Name Tag.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Name tags on the right pocket of certain uniforms were introduced in a very haphazard way, before being standardized and then discarded.

I don't think there was initially a formal policy. For example, as an officer cadet in 1963/64, I wore a name tag with my surname in a stencil and behind a coloured piece of polythene, which represented the course squadron I was on. None of the Directing Staff wore a name tag. When I graduated, I did not wear a name tag again until the period 1965-69. I was in the Far East - Malaysia, Borneo, Hong Kong and I had a name tag made up at a local shop and it was black with white letters engraved. I only wore this on my No: 1 or No: 6 uniform. On return to UK I continued to wear this tag but it was unofficial and was not worn on parade. In the late 1970s, the issue and wearing of blue name tags, secured by 'claw studs' were available and the lettering was again white. In recent years, name tags are only to be worn by personnel on certain training courses and others do not wear name tags.

Cutting across all this are the various patches worn on flying clothing. There are many different styles and to describe them is both time consuming and would not be comprehensive anyway. However they are generally worn on the left upper side of the flying overalls.

On combat clothing, I used to wear a name patch sewn above the right pocket of my combat smock. That changed and I stitched a patch with my name and squadron number, above the left pocket of my smock. Then the RAF seems to have taken a dislike to name patches on combats and these are replaced by 'Royal Air Force' stitched on the smock. The MTP combats are a 'dogs breakfast' with all sorts of patches with blood groups, Tactical Recognition patches etc.

I expect it'll all change again and someone will design a one week training course called: The Patches I have Known Course, with an exam at the end and a pass mark of 60% - a cynic Moi!!!!!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Colin,

thank you very much for comprehensive answer - I was expecting something like that:)
    So I will suppose that both photos were taken in the same year +/- as he is not wearing the name tag on the photos taken about 2 years earlier.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz