Thread: Sgt J Lansdell crash 17-9-40 which Hurricane? (moved)

Thanks

Default Sgt J Lansdell crash 17-9-40 which Hurricane? (moved)

Hi

I am trying to confirm please which Hurricane Sgt J Lansdell of 607 Squadron was shot down in on the 17th September 1940.

The aircraft appears to be P3933 but I have also found mention of P3860 as a possibility however this is listed as having crashed near Slindon on October 7th 1940 with 607 Sqn

Air Britain military P serials has P3933 as serving with 607 and 302 squadron and crashing near Leconfield on the 24th August 1940.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

There certainly does seem to be some confusion here over the fate of P3860. Both Franks, Fighter Command Losses Vol 1 and Wynn, Men of the Battle of Britain have Sgt Lansdell as being killed after bailing out of P3860 on 17th Sept 1940 with the aircraft crashing near the Bell Inn at Beltring neat Tunbridge Wells. Web sources indicate that wreckage from the aircraft was recovered by the Shoreham Aircraft Museum in 1986 so perhaps someone associated with this organisation can confirm the aircraft identity. (I have e-mailed them this evening to ask the question)

Notwithstanding the above AB P Serials and also (again) Franks have P3860 crashing on 7th Oct 1940 after a mid-air collision with L1728. Both Franks and Wynn indicate that L1728 was being flown by F/O Ivor Difford with P3860 being flown by P/O A.M.W.Scott. Difford was killed but Scott bailed out and survived. The 607 Sqn ORB confirms both incidents but does not provide any aircraft identity details. From the web I have seen a reference that states local police records of the 7th October incident the aircraft serial numbers and pilots were the other way round i.e. that Difford was flying P3860. The thing that interests me is that apparently there is a documented source that has P3860 crashing on 7th Oct 40.

I’m sorry that none of this provides an answer to which aircraft Sgt Lansdell was flying but perhaps it might assist someone else to come up with a definitive conclusion.

My interest in Sgt Landsell is due to him being from (and buried in) Norfolk. Until now I had been satisfied that he died after bailing out of P3860 as I had two sources to confirm the aircraft identity, but I am now rather more doubtful. I wonder if anyone has a loss card for P3860 ?

I would be most interested in any further information.

J.
    Last edited by norfolkjohn; 12th June 2016 at 21:43.

Thanks

I believe that P3933 of 302 squadron was damaged by Ju.88's in combat and force-landed near Leconfield cat.3 destroyed and was flown by P/O S J Chalupa

Thanks

Autogiro, Hi,
    Pavel Vlacec may have some info on this one? Chalupa was Czech? A Chalupa (Czech) was Naturalised in 1951.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter, the late Stanisław Chałupa was one of the last living Polish the few.

Thanks

Hi,
    I have some research on John Lansdell.
    Amongst it is a copy of the aircraft loss card for P3933.
    It shows that the aircraft was struck off charge on 18th September 1940 whilst with 607 Squadron.
    It went to 607 on July 11th from the MU and didn't serve with any other squadron.
    I can confirm that the items on display at Shoreham aircraft museum relate to P3933 and John Lansdell.
    Gerry

Thanks

Gerry

OK thanks for that that has possibly solved a mystery.
    I think then it appears as though there has been some sort of mix up with this aircraft in the Air Britain P serials and that you are correct then that P3933 did not serve with 302 squadron after all.

I looked in my fathers copy of Francis Masons Battle over Britain and this lists S J Chalupa as flying P3934 with 302 sqaudron and that it was destroyed in it's accident at Leconfield on the 24th August 1940 however this must not have been the case and others mention it only damaged as it went onto other squadrons later on.

So I think it safe to say the P3933 is Lansdell's Hurricane thanks to Gerry

Thanks

Just spotted this thread. I am working on a 607 Squadron project and I have been obtaining the AIR81's for those who were killed or injured with the Squadron.

The AIR81 for Lansdell states that he was killed flying Hurricane P3860, this is one piece of information which is consistent throughout the file.

However, as you all state, there is much confusion as to the location of the crash. The file states that he crashed at Pevensey and that his body was recovered from there. However, it also states that his body was at the Bull Hotel, Yalding, which is a number of miles from Pevensey. The location, Isle of Sheppey is also given. The ORB also gives Yalding as the location.

I also have reports that the crash occurred at The Bell Inn at Beltring, not all that far from Yalding, and that he was flying Hurricane P3933.

According to FreeBMD, John Lansdell's death is registered at Maidstone.

Has there been any further information which has come to light to confirm 100% which aircraft Lansdell was flying and where it crashed?
    Last edited by JimCorbett1977; 30th December 2017 at 18:07.
    Jim Corbett