Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Joseph Moriarty, possibly aka James Glover Moriarty WWII airman (moved)

Thanks

Default James Joseph Moriarty, possibly aka James Glover Moriarty WWII airman (moved)

Hi all,

We have a lot of confusion in trying to find RCAF officer James Joseph Moriarty. We have a photo of he and his brother, Daniel J, in RCAF uniform, standing with their parents. We have easily found ample records on Daniel, who was killed. We cannot find a single record on James Joseph. Not one. He had stories of being a POW in Germany that seemed genuine, complete with nightmares; he also spoke multiple languages and had a charismatic personality and the ability to think on his feet. After the war, he married and had two children. Some time after that, he abruptly left his family, changed his name, and moved across the country. Until a few weeks ago, we only knew him under that (changed) name---as did everyone else out here. In tracing genealogy, we found that he was not born in Belgium (which is what he told everyone here), but in Wales, to Irish parents who emigrated to the Boston area.

The closest we have come in any military records is a "James Glover Moriarty." This airman is listed as JG Moriarty, # 656266, RAF Stalag 357 340. Documented POW.

On one site, I found a commentary/letter from a man who called himself "Simon Moriarty;" he claimed that airman JG Moriarty was his father. However, he called him John. The confusion continues. He has not responded to a query from me asking for further details on his father.

One RAF airman from WWII suggested that James Joseph was likely in Intelligence. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Thanks

What an interesting tale!

I'm aure you know this already (perhaps you posted the information yourself?), but he is on a family tree on ancestry.co.uk, which has a load of information about his date and place of birth, the family's movements to the USA and his movements after the war until his death in 2002.

BTW 656266 is John Glover Moriarty, according to Air 78/113.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon,

Great to hear from you! We have been trying to figure this out. Yes, the James Joseph Moriarty on Ancestry.com is my husband's father; the vast majority of the information was posted by a distant cousin of ours, whom we've just met (online) in the last couple of weeks. Here's the scoop: Aircrewremembered is convinced that the JG Moriarty (656266) listed in military records----he is listed as both JG Moriarty and James (not John) Glover Moriarty in the records we've found---is the same person as James Joseph Moriarty. As well, there is a listing wherein the JG Moriarty is from Massachusetts, USA. So...since I came across numerous postings from you regarding John Glover Moriarty being your father, we were trying to figure out if there was a connection, or just a mistake in the military records. Here is the page from aircrew remembered; this page is about my husband's father's brother, Daniel. If you across down the page, you'll see a family photo with my husband's father, James, his brother, Daniel, and his mother and father.

http://www.aircrewremembered.com/mcgaw-neil-mcgaw.html

Can you confirm for us that none of these people look familiar to you? I actually just tracked you down on LinkedIn, so if you hear from my husband via LinkedIn, that's what this is about. His name is Brian Moriarty, here in California, USA.

Thanks so much!

Kris Moriarty

Thanks

P.S. From a cousin just now, she mentioned a reference to JG Moriarty being in Dowlais, Wales at some point. I asked her if she could remember where she saw this; now we are wondering if perhaps Brian's father met your father, and then "borrowed" his POW story and told it to his own family. Thanks again!

Kris

Thanks

Hello

I'd suggest you manage to access J.J. MORIARTY and/or J.G. MORIARTY's PoW questionnaire at The National Archives, Kew, London, in the WO 344 series. I don't know if you can visit there yourself, and if you know someone who can. I don't have the precise reference at hand, but can do that later on, when I'm back home. When one has the volume covering all the MORIARTYs, it'd be easy to check them all, and obviously focus on J.J. or J.G.. This would give service number, date of birth, wartime address, and also date and place where he was captured, and Squadron he belonged to that the time he was captured.

Second option is to access his service record at the National Archives of Canada in Ottawa, from your Post #1, J.J. and D.J. were R.C.A.F., but J.F. was R.A.F. ? If you want to access their service files (genealogical package) you'll have to give a proof of death showing he passed away more than 20 years ago...

Good luck

Joss

Thanks

Kris, just to clarify it's not MY family tree, by the way, just one I found on ancestry.co.uk. I'm no relation at all!

Back to ancestry.co.uk, and there are several family trees for a John Glover Moriarty (as per Air 78/113*), born November 7th 1918 in Elham, Kent, died May 1985 in Bournemouth, Dorset. Not a very common name, surely?

Maybe a case of identity swap whilst both were P.o.W.?

Regards

Simon

*Kris - Air 78/113 - for more information see:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C4005854

http://www.rafcommands.com/reference...ervice-number/

Thanks

Hi there Joss,

Both Daniel J and James J were RCAF, attached to RAF. I can probably get military records because my husband is his (JJ's) son; we know that they were together during training at one point. He passed away in 2002. Daniel was killed in action---many records on him.

Thanks so much for your offer of help with the reference for the WO/344 series! I wonder if I can access them online, as I was able to access the other records provided by Simon?

Thanks so very much for your help!

Kris
    Last edited by KKMITTY1922; 16th June 2016 at 06:48.

Thanks

Hi Simon,

So you are not Simon Moriarty? There's a Simon Moriarty who has posted extensively about John Glover Moriarty, POW, on various WWII online sites; we have been trying to find him :)

Thanks VERY much for these links; I was able to find John Glover Moriarty, a J Moriarty, and a James Graham Moriarty. I wonder if James Graham and John Glover were part of this mix-up?

It's been very difficult to find any "Glover Moriartys" as it appears that the Glovers were Protestant and the Moriartys, Catholic. Since the Daniel J Moriarty (brother of James Joseph) was RCAF, I wasn't sure if he and James would be listed here. I don't see Daniel by the service number (J/26211) listed in other sources, so I would imagine that that J Moriarty is not the James we are looking for. Still, not sure though. But I think what we will find is that they are listed in the RCAF records in Ottawa. Many, many thanks,

Kris

Thanks

Hi Kris

Happy to be of help, but no, not me I'm afraid - sorry! :-)

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hello Kris

The reference at The National Archives at Kew for all the PoW questionnaires for Moriartys is WO 344/225/1.

The WO 344 series is not available online, or maybe only a few excerpts.

I'm afraid I'm not able to help you in person, but maybe another forumite soon going to Kew and with some spare time can have a look. Otherwise you may contact the staff online as ask for a quote, and access that volume through a professional researcher / reader that you'll have to pay.

happy hunting.

Joss