Thread: 7 Squadron, RAF

Thanks

Default 7 Squadron, RAF

Does anyone have the ORB for 7 Sqn during the period 0ct-Nov 39. I am interested in FO S.M.M. Watson, posted to 7 Sqn on 3 Oct 39 and then posted to the NZ Flight, Harwell on 27 Nov 39. I suspect he was at 7 Sqn to complete a multi-engine conversion. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Terry,
    You could well be right, probably the most advanced service aircraft he had flown prior to that was the Blackburn Baffin!
    David D

Thanks

David, You are correct. Unfortunately his log book didn't survive. I am aware of his operational flying with 75 both as a 2nd pilot and as a captain; it is the "training" period that would provide some depth. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Terry,
    You are correct 7 Sqn was a training unit at this stage of the war. From 1 October 7 Sqn was re-organised to have a Flying Flight and a Maintenance Flight with Sqn Ldr M.H. Kelly as Chief Flying Instructor in charge of the Flying Flight. It was a small unit. During the October the average serviceability was just 3 Hampden and 3 Anson. Unfortunately the ORB only mentions the number of air crew posted to and from the unit without any names. Not only pilots but also Observers and Air Gunners were trained.
    Peter

Thanks

Peter, Thanks very much for the response, which confirms David's and my supposition. Oh for the log book, but it never made it back to NZ. Regards, Terry