Thread: Halifax loading question

Thanks

Default Halifax loading question

Can anyone assist in advising further on what a Halifax aircraft's 'port inboard cover for the bomb loading point' was, how large it was, and exactly what it did.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Thanks

Hi Colin

The Hali had bomb cells in the wings didn't it. Maybe (with the reference to 'port inboard') something to do with the way of getting bombs up into those?

Just my guess for starters ...

Ian

Thanks

Ian.
    I think you are correct as found an image showing bombs being hand winched into those compartments.
    Tried to find an overview to see how big the panel was but no joy, however it would have been in line of sight from the flight deck which figures well.

Thanks

Hi Colin

Was this the link to the picture you found?

http://www.skynet.ie/~dan/temp/LL145/1942_Halifax2.pdf

'Flight', October 15th 1942, P.427, top LH picture?

Unfortunately, as you say, it doesn't show the view on top of the wing. But note the pic of the manual bomb winch used inside the fuselage on the previous page, and the hole into the bomb bay through which that cable's passing. One could guess that the one in the wing may have been of similar size? ... Unless it wasn't!

Ian
    Last edited by ianh; 14th July 2016 at 15:26.

Thanks

Ian.
    Yes indeed so, I can only assume it was effectively some kind of access panel, unlikely to be large.

Thanks

Hi Colin

I took a quick look this morning at a couple of booklets I've got on the Halifax. They include scale drawings of the a/c, and they both show what appears to be three circles on the upper surface of each wing corresponding, as far as I can see, to the position of the bomb cells underneath.

I didn't have time to try to work out any idea of the scaled-up size of these circles, but I wonder if they might be the covers over the points through which the bombs would've been winched up into the wing cells. And whether one of those is what your original description is referring to - the inner one of these on the port wing.

Again, all guesswork but you never know.

I've tried looking for a photo which might show this area but no luck so far - either the wrong angle or not detailed enough.

Ian

Thanks

Ian interesting facts, being round was unexpected. Possibly the winching device had a round locating panel to secure it into the void.

Thanks

Hi Colin

I've had a go at scaling-up the 'circles' shown on the Halifax drawings and they look to have been just under a foot in diameter - I reckon about 10" at a rough estimation.

Just out of interest, why your original question? Is it something you've read about, or been offered?

Ian

Thanks

Ian. It was simply a reference made in a log book, such detail is rarely noted but as it had been, I wanted to bottom out exactly what they were. I never knew they existed, but now we do.