Thread: Differnce between UK time and German time

Thanks

Default Differnce between UK time and German time

Hi ,

When it was 2200 hrs in the UK in the spring off 1944 what time was it in Low Countries ?

Thanks in advance
    Alain12

Thanks

Hi
    Should be 2400 hrs.
    Best regards
    Soren Flensted
    WWW.Flensted.EU.Com

Thanks

Just looking at the complicated chart that I have, my understanding is that up until 2nd April 1944 the times were the same. On 2nd April 1944 there was a one hour time difference when UK moved to British Double Summer Time and Germany (and its held territories) remained on Central European Time. On 3rd April 1944 Germany moved to German Summer Time which meant that UK and German times were once again the same.

This is obviously at odds with Soren's response, so it would be interesting to hear other views.

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 14th July 2016 at 16:06.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

I've previously got myself into a right pickle with this Pete, and had to be corrected by the Deutscher Wetterdienst (German Met Office). As you've identified, the dates are crucial as the UK worked on British Summer (or Saving) Time (GMT+1) from early autumn through winter until spring (dates were slightly different each year), with Double BST (GMT+2) being used during the intervening months. Germany and German occupied territories used German Summer Time (CET+1) during the summer months, otherwise Central European Time. CET=GMT+1. This is a convoluted way of agreeing with you.

Brian

Thanks

Hi all

As some of the Forum members will know, this question pops up from time to time on here.

Can't recall by whom now, but some time ago there was a long written description given of the time-changes and dates of change throughout the war. These details were also given in a book which I don't have immediately to hand.

But to make those descriptions easier to understand for my own research purposes, I've previously plotted those time changes and dates in diagrammatic format as personally I'm more able to understand the changes and time differences if I can see them!

According to that, and as Pete has already said, I believe that from the start of 1944 up until 2nd April both the UK and Germany were on the same 'local' time (BST here and and CET in Germany, both being 1 hour ahead of GMT).

On 2nd April the UK moved an hour ahead (to GMT+2, or Double-BST), while Germany followed (moving on to their GST) the next day, on 3rd April.

Both countries then continued again at the same 'local' time through that summer until dropping back an hour again (back to BST / CET, both being GMT+1): on 17 September in the UK, followed later by Germany on 2 October.

I think this is correct. Hope it helps.

Ian
    Last edited by ianh; 16th July 2016 at 19:50.

Thanks

... So in answer to Alain's original question, apart from a 24-hour period (not sure at what precise moment the clock-changes happened) between 2nd and 3rd April when 'local' time in the UK had moved an hour ahead of that in Germany, it would've been 22:00 hrs in Germany as well.

For that odd 24-hour period until the clock-changes in Germany followed suit with the +1 hour change, I think Germany would've been an hour BEHIND us, so it would've been 21:00 there.

Ian

ps Oh, I'm assuming that the Low Countries would've been on 'German' time during the war!

Thanks

Hello ,

Yhank you all for your help.
    Alain12

Thanks

A.P. 1083 - Time To Be Used by RAF is Set Out (GMT BST etc)
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...-(GMT-BST-etc)
    See images in 3 (copied below)

AP 1083 dated 1944 Para. 77 Time to be used by Royal Air Force

Timing differences UK and Germany during 1940-1945
    http://www.rafcommands.com/reference...ing-1940-1945/

... "Timing differences UK and Germany during 1940-1945" was published in Bulletin Air War 1939-1945 (Dutch Studygroup Air War WW2)
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...in-August-1942

References to BST and BDST (British Double Summer Time) and Daylight Saving Time and occasional references to German time (during WW 2), can sometimes be found in The Times.

GMT, BST and BDST was publicly announced for Dairy Farmers etc., to ensure milk was ready for collection etc.

RAF Records in the PRO Readers Guide 8, published 1994

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 26th July 2016 at 06:24.