Thread: When did the UK hear about Pearl Harbour?

Thanks

Default When did the UK hear about Pearl Harbour?

Dear All
    Following the current thread on UK and German time, I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me with the timing of when the UK heard about Pearl Harbour? I am guessing that it was broadcast on the radio before the newspapers came out, however I am not sure what the time differences were between Hawaii time and the UK.

The reason for me asking is that the crew I am following were shot down in the early hours of 8/12/41. They had taken off shortly after midnight. With the pre operation 'lock down' of the base I doubt if they would have heard about Pearl Harbour before they took off.
    They ditched in the North Sea and the survivors were rescued by the German Navy on 12/12/41. Potentially, were they some of the last people to hear that the USA had entered the war?
    All views and comments would be most welcome.
    Thank you.
    James

Thanks

Hi James
    Recall the movie "tora Tora Tora", which seems to have been better researched than most. The attack was shown as commencing as the Sunday Morning Flag Raising was taking place aboard ships in the Harbour which I believe was about 0800 Hawaii time. Earlier in the Movie there was a sequence that showed the Japanese Ambassador trying to follow instructions from Tokyo to translate and deliver a Final Note to the US Govt. at precisely 1300- Washington Time i.e 1800 GMT(to be corrected for Daylight saving in the UK if that was appropriate that December). This almost certainly means your crew were briefed and despatched across the period of the attack which wouldn' have been relevant info to their business and depending on the German ship's patrol might not have been known to that crew either. Hitler declared War on the USA but I don't know the time lag.
    Hope this is of use
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Dear Dick
    Thank you for such an informative and understandable reply. It appears that this crew were some of the last people to find out that the USA and Japan had entered the war.
    Thank you for all your help.
    James

Thanks

Ronald Greville-Heygate was working with No.27 Signals Training Group at Cirencester... 'While on night-duty he received a signal stating that Pearl Harbour had been attacked, but unaware of where it was and therefore failing to realise its significance, he placed the message into the pending tray to deal with in the morning. Finding the
    signal the next day the Station Commander was absolutely furious with Ronald for not waking him' - 'From Sapper to Spitfire Spy' by Sally-Anne Greville-Heygate.

Thanks

Dear Motherbird
    Thank you for this fascinating episode in the UK. This would mean that my crew almost certainly would not have known even though they took off just after midnight. Another great source.
    Thank you.
    James