Thread: Catalina AH533 crash

Thanks

Default Catalina AH533 crash

Catalina AH533 of 210 squadron crashed on Isle of Jura after taking off from RAF Helensburgh on Tuesday July 15, 1941, following an overhaul. Seven crew were killed, only AC. J Kelly survived. Does anyone know how long the crew would have stayed at Helensburgh? Is it likely they flew AH533 from its base at Oban and stayed in Helensburgh while the aircraft was serviced. How long would an overhaul service on a Catalina take?
    robin bird

Thanks

The crew were taken to helensbourgh on the 14th by Ted Southwell who flew a spare crew to collect AH533 ted flew back via the sound of Bute to lochgilphead

Thanks

tigerfeet: good feedback, thank you. Can you elaborate please? Which crew was taken to Helensburgh, was it Hutchinson and co? Who were the spare crew and who was Ted Southwell. This info will be much appreciated, robin

Thanks

Flight Commander SL Hutchinson one survivor AC John Kelly if you send email address i will photo copy what i have

Thanks

The information i have is from To The ends of the Earth 210 Squadron by Mike Seymore and Bill Balderson
    Last edited by tigerfeet; 18th July 2016 at 15:53. Reason: more info