Thread: 1586 (Polish Special Duties) Flight ORB Form 541s Aug-Sept 1944?

Thanks

Default 1586 (Polish Special Duties) Flight ORB Form 541s Aug-Sept 1944?

Hello everyone

Does anyone know if the Form 541s for 1586 (Polish) Flight are available for the period August and September 1944? I'm trying to trace the Ops flown a by a particular Polish Flight Engineer, and thanks to Dave a.k.a. Highgroundsman I know he joined 301/1586 in August, so I'd like to track his Ops for this time.

I have the 541s for October and November 1944, which are filed under 301 Sqn on the National Archives website, but the earlier ones don't seem to be available. The Form 540 is available, but it's pretty patchy.

The 301 Sqn Form 541 for January 1945 is also incomplete, just two pages covering four days, but I'm not sure if this is a file error on the National Archives website. The February 541 is also listed on their website under January, and vice versa, so the whole thing's a bit messy!

Would 1586 Flight have been under the auspices of 138 Squadron in August and September '44, as this entry on Wikipedia mentions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._1586_Flight_RAF

Many thanks

Simon

Thanks

Simon

Others may be more skilled than me but this seems to the closest that NA/Discovery gets http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...=range&_ro=any

Thanks

Hi All,
    If, during any of the researches on this thread, anybody comes across any mention of the Met and the methods of acquiring it, would they be so kind as to gives us the heads-up?
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Simon
    All Polish activities within 138 Sqn are covered by the 138 Sqn ORB. Since establishment of the independent 1586 Flight, a separate ORB was established as well. This was continued following expanding the Flight into 301 Sqn. Unfortnately, it seems that at some point someone decided (at AHB or PRO) to break down the ORB, and removed pages concerning 1586 Flight. No other copy seems to exist elsewhere. There is a chance, that the missing pages are misplaced or otherwise hidden in TNA, or possibly AHB, but as yet nobody has located them. Fortunately, some other records survived, and they allowed to largely recreate the missing file, the results being published in Poland a few years ago.

Thanks

Thank you Franek. Is it possible to know what's available, and where?

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon
    There is lots of dispersed documents, like Polish diaries of the unit, not very detailed to say the least, some mission reports, log books, etc., at Sikorski Institute, The Polish Underground Movement (1939-1945) Study Trust, other archives and museums, as well as private persons. A detailed study, and the best so far, was made by Mr Kajetan Bieniecki, who listed all known missions of the Flight. Both books (flights to Poland and to other countries) were published in Poland and shall still be available. They are in Polish, but most of the essential data is in tables.