Thread: Searching Records by service number

Thanks

Default Searching Records by service number

Can anyone please tell me if there is an effective way of searching an airman by his service number and name alone? I have 709002 LAC Jan Adamowicz who was a Halton Brat who came to England and trained as an Electrician. He qualified on 29th July 1947, after which I can find no trace of him.

He was nominally attached to 304 Squadron but they were disbanded several months before he passed out. Only five of this intake returned to Poland after the War but I have not been able to discover their names.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Archivist, Hi,

Yr man was in the block 703000-709999 which was allocated from Mar 1942>May 1945 to Poles (his Number right near the end). You can find him on http://listakrzystka.pl/en/?p=2200 – but that gives little more (DoB 29 Aug 1927) than you already know (and the List has some known errors!). Logically, if there were a number of other Poles, and they went to Halton at about the same time, then they might have (roughly!) adjacent Service Numbers. If you ‘search’ the List for, say, 20 numbers either side of his then you will get 40-odd blokes – many of which can be discarded for other reasons. Cranwell won’t give you the names (unless you try FOI?!!). You can ‘search’ the List for ‘Electrician’. There are a lot, but one or two(?) – at first glance – seem to have Service Numbers not far adrift from your guy. Polish data sources in UK might help, as might some of our Polish colleagues on the forum!
    Best I can do
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Peter,

Cranwell may well not give the numbers but an ex-Cranwell apprentice site does! Unfortunately I have been unable to find a Halton site which des the same and there is no known site for his intake. However, the 240 odd who came over together were split between the two locations but I will give your idea a try. Thanks.

Nevile