Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F/Sgt J H Williams RAAF

Thanks

Default F/Sgt J H Williams RAAF

I'd be grateful if someone could give me the position filled by F/Sgt J H Williams (Aus. 421459) RAAF on the 206 Sqn Liberator BZ961. The aircraft crashed in poor weather whilst approaching Leuchars on 14 Sept 1944.

I have full details of the accident, plus names of the other crew members, and their positions.

TIA
    Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian,

There were so many on board (14) that to define a particular position is close to impossible other than forecaster etc.

Any names for the two civilians?

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross,

I have the casualty report for the aircraft, and that lists just 12 on board, the civilian being Jack Davidson, a forecaster from Tain. The CR is specifically for Williams, although it lists all the crew - their positions are given, but not his.

I'll copy you the CR, plus the story I've written for Davidson.

Brian

Thanks

Cheers Brian,

Group ORB says transit, names the 11 crew, plus met forecaster Davidson and two civilians (with hindsight they could have been ground casualties).

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

I think the confusion arises from the fact there were two Liberators involved, BZ961 and EV887. Both aircraft were patrolling in approximately (very approximately) the same area, and both were diverted to Tain. This was a Thursday and one of the crew of EV887 was due to marry on the Saturday, so there was pressure on both crews to return to Leuchars. There had been only a marginal improvement in the weather when they left Tain in the late afternoon, BZ961 with Davidson on board, and EV887 with two other un-named civilians.

EV887 arrived at Leuchars first, and conditions were so poor (very low cloud and fog patches) that the pilot elected to land from the east, despite there being a light easterly drift. The aircraft landed on the third attempt, and when I interviewed the co-pilot last year, and he'd made a note in his logbook that it was very scary.

BZ961 made its approach from the west, and flew into the side of Lucklaw Hill at Balmullo Quarry, about 3000 m short of the airfield boundary. This was open ground and there were no ground casualties.

Brian

Thanks

Further to my last Ross, does the Group ORB give any details about the accident? I'm in touch with the niece of F/Sgt Williams in Australia, and she would be interested if there is any other information.

Brian

Thanks

Brian

His casualty file has been digitized at the National Archive of Australia WebSite

Search via his Serial Number

Paul

Thanks

Page 27 says he was a WOP/AIM (I think it sasy AIM)

Thanks

Many thanks Paul. I have a copy of William's Form 551 sent to me by his niece, and although it doesn't give his trade, it does for all the other crew members. Three on the F551 are listed as WOP/AIR, so I think it safe to interpret that as him being a WOP/AG.

Problem solved - thanks chaps.

Brian

Thanks

Brian,

A copy Form 551 also exists on the service record of WOp/AG G J Forbes, RNZAF. It lists his crew on BZ961 as follows (just surnames used here, in haste):

Bayard - pilot
    Taylor - pilot
    Dunn - Nav/W
    Thompson - WOp/Air
    Alabaster - pilot
    Williams - WOp/AG
    Nimmo - AG
    Wilkinson - FE
    Walker - WOp/Air
    Watson - Nav/B
    Davidson - Met

Cheers,