Thread: Information sources for Airwork Services - Muscat/SMOAF?

Thanks

Default Information sources for Airwork Services - Muscat/SMOAF?

I'm doing family history research and researching my late father-in-law who died in Bait al Falaj, Muscat in 1970 whilst working for Airwork Services, supporting the Sultanate of Muscat and Oman Airfroce - previously he'd seen RAF service for 26 years.

Does anyone please know of any sources of information for SMOAF or Airwork Services that might be useful in helping me establish the circumstances of his death or his place of burial in Muscat?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Google Books has a searchable copy of Airwork: A History, in which you may possibly be able to find his name mentioned. Here's a LINK. Simply enter a search term in the box on the LH side and click Go.

Regards

Simon

EDIT - could you let us know his name, if possible?

Thanks

Hi Simon

Thanks for the link - I'll have a look at that, and maybe see if the author can advise on additional sources.

Of course, I'm happy to share his name.

John MacDonald, born May 1921, died May 1970 in May 1970.

His RAF service was 1939 to 1965, and I understand he went directly to Airworks at the end of his service. His service number is 635405.

Thanks

I arrived in Muscat in June 1970 and then went down to Salalah. Left at the beginning of 1972.
    Ranulph Fiennes wrote a book called "Atlantis of the Sands" set in the Dhofar region.
    In the book he references the invaluable help he got from Andy Dunsire a long time member of Airworks.
    I remember Andy and he was certainly there well before me.
    Can't be sure but I think Andy retired back to Scotland.
    Either way he pops up when you google his name. He may be able to help if you can track him down.
    If memory serves me right one the guys during my time there was a Hector MacDonald. Any relation?
    Good luck
    Last edited by Odihamoldboy; 8th September 2016 at 16:16.

Thanks

It is worth checking out the Key Publishing/Flypast Historic Aviation forum and the PPRuNe Aviation History and Nostalgia forum...search on Airwork and Oman etc.

Steve