Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School Air Navigation Port Albert Canada

You are correct Tony. All the 30 series, and the 40 series, BCATP units started life as RAF units in Canada. All the unit diaries I have seen indicate that most (if not all) of these units first formed up in the UK, often with a different designation or as a detachment of a unit that remained in the UK, before travelling to Canada. They would then receive a unit number in the 30 or 40 series. By the end of the BCATP all the units in Canada were under the RCAF, but the 30 and 40 series kept a strong RAF/FAA flavour to the end.
    Bill Walker
    Canadian Military Aircraft Serials
    http://www.rwrwalker.ca/

According to Air-Britain's 'RAF Flying Training and Support Units since 1912:

31ANS 'Established in Canada from a nucleus of No.1 School of Air Navigation, St.Athan, 'A' party embarked at Liverpool in HMT Duchess of Atholl, 12.10.40, disembarking at Montreal 24.10.40 and arrived Port Albert 25.10.40; 'B' Party embarked at Liverpool in HMT Duchess of Richmond 1.11.40, disembarked Montreal 10.11.40 and arrived Port Albert 11.11.40; unit officially formed 11.11.40 at Port Albert, Ontario with Ansons...disbanded 17.2.45.'

32ANS 'Formed 18.8.41 at Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island...disbanded 15.9.42.'

33ANS ' Formed 16.4.41 at Weeton; 10.5.41 embarked at Glasgow in SS Royal Ulsterman; 27.5.41 disembarked Halifax; 29.5.41 arrived Mount Hope, Hamilton (Ontario)...2.6.41 name changed to No.31 AOS, but reverted to No.33 ANS a few days later...disbanded 6.10.44.'

31EFTS formed in UK then to Canada. Disbanded 25.8.44.

32EFTS formed in Canada. Disbanded 8.9.44.

33EFTS formed in Canada. Redesignated No.18 EFTS, RCAF 14.4.44.

34EFTS formed in Canada. Redesignated No.25 EFTS, RCAF, 14.1.44.

35EFTS formed in Canada. Redsignated No.26 EFTS, RCAF, 30.1.44.

36EFTS formed in Canada. Disbanded 14.8.42.

31SFTS formed in UK then to Canada. Disbanded 14.8.44 and replaced by No.14 SFTS, RCAF.

32SFTS 'Formed by transferring No.10 SFTS from Ternhill, the first echelon of which left 21.10.40...disbanded 17.10.44.'

33SFTS formed in UK then to Canada. Disbanded 1.12.44.

34SFTS formed in UK then to Canada. Disbanded 17.11.44.

35SFTS 'Started training 19.8.41' in Canada. Disbanded 25.2.44.

36SFTS formed in Canada. Disbanded 3.11.44.

37SFTS formed in Canada. Disbanded 10.3.44.

38SFTS formed in Canada. Disbanded 11.2.44.

39SFTS formed in Canada. Disbanded 24.3.44.

41SFTS formed in Canada. Disbanded 22.1.44.

32AOS - see 32ANS.

31BGS formed in Canada. Disbanded 17.11.44.

31GRS formed in Canada. Disbanded 21.2.44.

30OTU - in UK only.

31OTU formed in Canada. 'Disbanded and replaced by No.7 OTU RCAF, 1.7.44.'

32OTU formed in UK then to Canada. Redesignated No.32 Operational Squadron 15.12.41. Reverted to 32 OTU title 29.12.41. Redesignated 6 OTU RCAF 1.6.44.

34OTU formed in UK then to Canada. Disbanded 19.5.44.

36OTU formed in UK then to Canada. 'Disbanded and replaced by 8 OTU, RCAF 30.6.44.'

Errol

Thanks very much Errol. From the Unit diaries held in Library and Archives Canada, No. 31 SFTS was formed from a detachment of No. 7 SFTS at RAF Peterborough, UK. The detachment travelled to Canada still calling itself 7 SFTS. First aircraft on strength in Canada on 2 October 1940 (Battles, from Fleet Aircraft in Fort Erie). After the merger with 14 SFTS a large number of RAF staff remained, and the daily diary didn't change much in format.

I have started to look at the 32 SFTS diaries, but the early years are missing - at least from the microfilm reel I have seen so far.

32 OTU became 32 Squadron right after Pearl Harbor, when the west coast schools all went to war footing in expectation of the Japanese fleet appearing in Vancouver harbour. The school was split shortly after to No. 149 Squadron for operations, and 32 OTU for training.

I've started with the lower numbered BCATP school microfilms, and at my present rate expect to finish the 30 and 40 series in about 20 years. Please stay tuned.
    Bill Walker
    Canadian Military Aircraft Serials
    http://www.rwrwalker.ca/

Thank you Gentlemen.

This information is interesting. I really appreciate it

However the version, I have is much more entertaining,
    I am not sure though if it would be breaking any copywrite laws to let you have it.

Perhaps someone knows the answer to that question. Or has anyone else got a copy of this book?

Jan

Default Bump up the thread

I know this is an old thread but its been quoted on a Rootschat one. Just for everyones interest there is a book called Aircrew Unlimited by John Golley which covers the Commonwealth Air Training Plan (including the training in the USA) and is very readable.

Default Any idea where to get this book?

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie2620 View Post
    Quote removed. Read and comply with sticky.
    Ross
    Have you any idea where I can get a copy Oggie?

Jan B

Hi Jan

I got my copy from Barter Books in Alnwick in Northumberland and when I was there in October, they had another copy so it might be worth checking their website.

Malcolm

Default Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_raf View Post
    Quote removed. Please read and comply with sticky.
    Ross

Thank you Macolm,

I will check that out today. I am still waiting to hear if any one else has heard of the 'Children of SAN' too? Surely mine is not the only copy of that book? Compass News must have been the Station newspaper, my copy is very old and worn now.

Jan B

Default Troopships to Canada

Hi Everyone,
    I have been hunting through the peoples war website, I was hoping to find reference to the Queen Elizabeth 1 which my father told me that he had sailed to Canada on. I had not heard of the other ship you see.

I have now found some evidence in the form of a story from a sailor on that ship. She sailed to Canada via New York in convoy which is what I was told. She then finished up in Alberta so it says.

Does anyone know if passenger lists are available for these voyages?

Any information would be very much appreciated. My father was an engineer. I remember stories about Ansons so despite the fact that he finished up in the School of Air navigation, he might have been transferred from one unit to another

Jan B