Thread: Y.G Radar Target Sleeve. Information sought

Thanks

Default Y.G Radar Target Sleeve. Information sought

Hi everyone
    I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light on a Target Sleeve I was recently given.
    The sleeve itself is 15' in length x 3' in diameter. It has a label attached which gives the following detail:
    Target Sleeve 3' DIA
    Type Y.G Radar
    Length 15'
    Stores REF. 9A/1455

With the information given I thought it would be a simple matter of doing a google search, but no, I can find absolutely nothing.
    I would be interested in how old it is and some information about the Y.G Radar reference.
    It's still in it's stores box and has never been used.
    Any information would be gratefully received.
    Robbo

Thanks

Try contacting the radar museum at RAF Neatishead or the radio museum at RAF Henlow, many of their staff are ex service technicians.
    Good luck
    Paul H

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    Try contacting the radar museum at RAF Neatishead or the radio museum at RAF Henlow, many of their staff are ex service technicians.
    Good luck
    Paul H
    Thanks Paul
    I'll give them both a try..
    Robbo

Thanks

Hello Robbo,

It may be worth locating a late war copy of AP1492 A which certainly details target sleeve types. I have checked my copy from November 1941 and a later amendment dated September 1950 but your stores reference is not included. As this document was regularly updated there will probably be further amendments which may be held at Kew or RAFM. Perhaps drop them a line and please keep us updated with your progress.

Kind regards,

Tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
    Hello Robbo,

It may be worth locating a late war copy of AP1492 A which certainly details target sleeve types. I have checked my copy from November 1941 and a later amendment dated September 1950 but your stores reference is not included. As this document was regularly updated there will probably be further amendments which may be held at Kew or RAFM. Perhaps drop them a line and please keep us updated with your progress.

Kind regards,

Tim
    Hello Tim

I've received a reply from Mike Payne at the Radar museum and he's confirmed that Y.G was a direction finding beacon used during WWII
    See attached links for anyone interested
    http://www.island-images.co.uk/ATC/z...0s/z1940s.html
    http://aafradio.org/docs/YE-ZB.pdf