Thread: UNRRA Displacement Camps

Thanks

Default UNRRA Displacement Camps

I have been contacted regarding the history of a former Polish Airman who does not appear in Krzystek's List. In itself, that is not unknown but the only documentation I have been sent is an UNRRA Displaced Persons ID Card - which is odd for an ex-serviceman.

His Date of Birth is given as 25 April 1923 and his age as 23 but the card was issued (or forged?) in 1949.

The location is given as A.C. and the camp number as 564. I thought all these camps were in Germany, Austria and Italy. Can anyone help with the location of this particular camp? Many thanks.

Thanks

Archivist, Hi

Near Peterborough Polebrook, Denethorpe, Conington, Sibson, and Spanhoe, were all (if I remember rightly) used for varying lengths of time to house Displaced Persons after WW2. They were mainly from Poland, Ukraine, Estonia, and Latvia. There was a small Italian PoW Seco-hutted camp at River Lane, Peterborough. Many of them stayed and became integrated into Peterborough. The camp was, I think, then used for DPs.
    HTH
    Peter Davies

PS Re the ID card issue date: UNRRA discontinued its operations in Europe on June 30, 1947.
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 27th July 2016 at 07:26. Reason: Additional info
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Peter,

I was aware of these places as RAF/USAAF Stations but not as camps for displaced persons. He was waiting to emigrate to Venezuela so he might well have stayed in one of them.

Ah, well it's boring if it's easy!
    Neville

Thanks

Neville

I'm sure you seen this site, but in case you hadn't:

http://www.polishresettlementcampsin...uk/PRC/PRC.htm

http://www.polishresettlementcampsin....uk/camps2.htm

There were dozens of sites on the UK, both civil and military, for the resettlement of displaced Poles after the war. This list of passengers arriving by ship from Europe and Africa may of use in finding your man too:

http://www.polishresettlementcampsin...shipsindex.htm

Regards

Simnon

Thanks

Neville, Hi,
    What I was trying to say was that, apparently, many of the post-WW2 RAF/USAAF disused Stations were used for this purpose. I was born/brought-up in Peterborough so these are the ones I know about personally. I suspect there were many others? My mother was a part-time Clinic Sister at the local maternity hospital. She had to deal with all these eastern European pregnant DP ladies. She had a broad Geordie accent, and claimed that she made the patients understand by shouting louder in Geordie!! I suspect, however, that she was more than helped by Rosa ? who was, herself, a DP Midwife, and who spoke German, Polish, Ukrainian (and some English!)!! When I started my paper-round (in 1947?) I was surprised to find that I was delivering several copies of Corriere della Sera!! These were to the Italian PoWs who had decided to stay! I've only just found out, as well, that the RAF set up a processing camp at RAF Kings Cliffe for German (Luftwaffe?) PoWs. One assumes that some didn't want to 'go home'? I suppose the most famous of these was Bert Trautmann (ex German paratrooper) who played some of the closing phases of an FA Cup Final with a cracked bone in his neck! What I'm trying to say is that I was born in a - pre-WW2 - very quiet provincial market town. By post-WW2 it had become very cosmopolitan (American, half of eastern Europe, 'Colonials', to name but a few). Must have been other places similar?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Simon,

I had seen the first two but not the incoming vessels list.

Neville

Thanks

Hello Peter,

I took your point and realised there were many more camps used for similar purposes. I need to extract a bit more information from my contact so I have an idea where to look. And there was not much wrong with your Mum if she was a Geordie! I am not, strictly speaking, a Geordie but I was born about 10 miles from the banks of the Tyne and I am currently living about half that distance away.

Neville

Thanks

Neville
    If the airman does not appear on the list, how do you know, if he was an airman? And are you sure of the date? I have got an AEF DP Index Card and dates are illegible.

Thanks

Hello Franek,

I have very little information. All I know is that his son contacted me and asked me to check him out. I have a very poor quality photo of him in uniform and I am no expert but it looks like a British Army battledress to me. He was born in 1923 so I am guessing that the photo was taken no earlier than 1941 - later if he was taken by the Russians and released as part of Anders Army.

I have asked my contact (his son) for more information.

I am not able to post the image here but I can email it to you if you would like to see it.

Regards
    Neville

Thanks

I know that a DP camp existed just up the main road from Cirencester/Glos on the main road to Gloucester in the fifties, but the exact whereabouts I cannot remember as it is too far back in the mists of time!!

Allan
    Allan Hillman