Thread: minimum-maximum length RAF pilots

Thanks

Default minimum-maximum length RAF pilots

Good afternoon,

does anyone know what the minimum-maximum length was for volunteers during the war to become a pilot in the RAF? I'm also looking for literature/stories about the RAF medical examination.
    Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Erwin van Loo

Thanks

Erwin,
    When I went for my RAF National Service entry Medical I was pushed, prodded, listened-to, and looked at. All this, it was assumed, was to determine if I was fit to do whatever, wherever, and whenever.
    When I had my National Service demobilisation Medical there were 3 Main Questions:
    1 Upright?
    2 Warm?
    3 Breathing?
    Provided you gave a positive answer to at least two of the three then you were sent upon your way rejoicing!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Well done Peter. Very droll. I assume you'd still pass on all 3 counts, so long may it continue!

Regards from a grey Winnersh (Triangle - office).

Ian

ps Have often wondered: What's a "Resmoroh"?

Thanks

Default Too small?

Hi Erwin,
    I've posted this question before on the old forum, my interest arises from the fact that the pilot of the Lancaster that I'm particularly interested in, named Rowland Ward, was 5 feet 5 inches tall. He obviously coped, flying Tiger Moths, Ansons, Oxfords, Wellingtons, Stirlings and finally Lancs. However in Bruce Lewis's "Aircrew", the following is written:
    "Reg was convinced he could handle the Harvard.....eagerly he strode out to the flights alongside his instructor. Full of enthusiasm he hauled himself up the metal side of the fuselage, stepped over the lip of the cockpit and sank out of sight into its depths. To his dismay, at 5 feet 4 inches, his head was below the level of the windscreen. He was unable to see out. Even worse than that, the rudder bar was beyond the reach of his feet." Reg ended up as a gunner!

Regards
    Max

Thanks

Ianh, Hi,
    RESMOROH comes from RESearch into the Met Office Roll Of Honour.
    When I wake up of a morning I still do that basic demobilisation medical check. And, as then, if I can answer 2 out of 3, I reckon that 2 out of 3 is as good as one is going to get at my age. I then proceed to the bathroom!!!
    Our cat - I should make you aware - would complain about the non-arrival of her breakfast even if I could only do 1 out of 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No accounting for females!!!!!!
    Yrs Aye
    Peter
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 18th June 2008 at 18:05.

Thanks

Aah! Now we know (Resmoroh). Obvious really!

(You in Reading as being local to Met Office in Bracknell also?)

2 out of 3 is fine. As you say even a 1 might suffice. Like you say, no excuses acceptable to the females.

I'm reminded of the joke about waking up and if you don't find your own Obituary in The Times you know you can get on with the day!

Good luck with the 'Resmoroh'.

Ian

ps Erwin, sorry about hijacking your post with all this

Thanks

Default Minimum-maximum length RAF pilots

Erwin,

Dat slaat dus allemaal als lul op drumstel. Which is Dutch for: "How many words does it take a bunch of RAF researchers to answer a simple question with "We don't know".

Hans