Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Francis George Kenna Gallagher, D.F.C.* and C.M.G.

Thanks

Default Francis George Kenna Gallagher, D.F.C.* and C.M.G.

Hello everyone

In the cemetery at Cambo, Northumberland, is the grave of Francis George Kenna Gallagher, D.F.C.* and C.M.G. His headstone is marked:

F.G.K. Gallagher
    (CMG, DFC and Bar)
    Diplomat

25.5.1917 - 19.4.2011

I've been trying to track down any mention of his two D.F.C.s, but the only references to him online refer to his career in the Foreign Office after the war. I've tracked down his Service Numbers, namely 1078822 and then 115931, but again the LG doesn't seem to have any mention of either D.F.C.

His C.M.G. was gazetted on Janaury 1st 1963.

Can anyone help with any further details?

Many thanks

Simon

Thanks

Simon, I agree with you. Searches of the LG do not show any awards of the DFC. Perhaps somebody with access to a copy of Maton can shed some light. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Odd that there's nothing in the Gazette. Hopefully something will come to light, but it's intriguing.

Simon

Thanks

Simon,

He does not appear in "The DFC and How It was Won 1918-1995" (Nick and Carol Carter). In short, he was not a DFC and bar holder.

Jim

Thanks

Thanks Jim, that's most interesting. Maybe an American D.F.C. winner then...?

Simon

Thanks

I don't usually get involved in 'bio' stuff, but I had a sniff around Kew today and found that once your man left the RAF in the first quarter of 1946 he becme a career diplomat. Uninterupted service in the FO, Vice-consul postings, First Secretary in Damascus, various jobs of greater importance right through to retirement. There were no postings as military attache or anything that suggested being imbedded in a foreign Air Force where he might have been decorated.
    I also discussed it with a staff member, which produced no new suggestions.

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Simon,

I have a record of all American DFCs to UK personnel - he is not listed there. His flying and Service career was somewhat limited in that he was transferred from the GD Branch (Observer) to Admin & Special Duties in 1942. He is not shown in the AFLs as having any DFC and he doesn't appear to have advanced beyond the rank of Fg Off. I smell a Walt!

Jim

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. This is getting a bit interesting.

This is the headstone (I've blurred out the manservant's name).

[IMG][/IMG]

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon,

I've just joined the forum to stick my oar in as I've been researching 'Ken' Gallagher (as he was known to family and friends) for some time now. I'm primarily interested in his diplomatic career but I once interviewed a colleague of his (George Neil Smith, former British ambassador to Finland) and this is what I know:

He was a Flight Lt. in Bomber Command. Unfortunately I don't know what unit he served in, but Mr. Smith told him (rather bizarrely) that he had a real fear of flying. I'm not sure if this was caused by his experiences in the RAF (Neil didn't meet him until the 1960s) but apparently he insisted on postings close to home (i.e. Western Europe) so he wouldn't have to fly great distances. This might have something to do with his transfer (which Jim has mentioned). I also know that he was crippled by polio from a very young age and walked with a limp for the rest of his life - maybe he was deemed unfit for active duty.

As someone has already mentioned on the thread, he had a long and distinguished diplomatic career. He was noted as being rather eccentric by some of his colleagues and was a talented classical pianist. He studied Law at King's College, London and had what Mr. Smith described to me as a 'painfully logical mind' (he would go over everything again and again etc). He was Head of the Foreign Office department (European Economic Organisations Department) primarily concerned with European integration affairs during Britain's first application to join the Common Market under Harold Macmillan (1961-3). As such, he must have been quite a competent chap - this was a highly coveted job in the diplomatic service at the time.

Anyway, I'm not sure how useful this has been to you (probably not very) but I thought I'd share what I know. He's a rather elusive figure as far as the historical record is concerned, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had trouble tracking down information about him. Feel free to drop me a message if you have any further questions.

All the best,

Adam

Thanks

Hello Adam

Firstly, welcome to the Fourm, and secondly thanks for posting the information you did. I came across his grave quite by chance - I live in a small village about 10 miles from Cambo, and was out on my motorbike one day and happened to pass the cemetery.

As you can probably tell from the responses to my initial question, there does seem to be a little doubt/confusion about the two D.F.C. awards recorded both on the headstone, and in the death announcement in the Daily Telegraph:

http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk...3955/gallagher

Apologies if this is 'preaching to the converted' as it were, but D.F.C. awards, like his C.G.M., would have been announced in the London Gazette ('gazetted'), and as there doesn't seem to any trace of one, never mind two, it's a bit of a conundrum.

It's interesting that you mention him being in Bomber Command, and his post war career seems an interesting one to say the least! I did contact the R.A.F. to see if they had any record of his D.F.C. awards, but they would only supply a basic set of records for the standard 30.00 standard fee/10 weeks waiting time. The records could tell where and when he served, and if he did indeed receive any wartime gallantry awards. I will send off for them at some stage, but priorities (and indeed funds) lie elsewhere for the time being.

What brought him to the relative quiet of Morpeth after he retired...?

Regards

Simon