Thread: Aircrash 30 June 1943 Khartoum

Thanks

Default Aircrash 30 June 1943 Khartoum

I'm trying to get some information about the service history and death of Flying Officer James Irwin Douglas (127137)
    I think he was killed in an air crash when a Hudson (FK618?) came down near Khartoum, Sudan on 30 June 1943. It may have been transporting pilots to West Africa to pick up replacement aircraft which had been ferried out from the UK.
    This info has been "scratched" together from various bits and from archived material on this forum, so it may be "iffy"
    Can anyone help, please?
    Ken

Thanks

Ken

The Dumfries and Galloway Standard of July 7th 1943 has the following, confirming he died in an aircraft accident:

Deaths
    DOUGLAS - On 30th June, 1943, in an air accident in Africa, Flying Officer James Irwin Douglas, R.A.F., second son of Mr. and Mrs. Alex. Douglas, Torkatrine, Dalbeattie.

and as you've already found, the post at the bottom of this old thread has him as pilot of FK618:

http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/03244.php

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks for that Simon.
    James is named on the Urr Parish War Memorial in the village of Haugh of Urr, just north of Dalbeattie.
    I did already have the newspaper report but I suspect that James was a pilot on board the aircraft rather than the pilot of the aircraft.
    The fact that he does not have a squadron designation on the CWGC Register makes me think that, but..............

Ken

Thanks

No problem Ken. Not sure if you know, but the R.A.F. War Deaths Overseas database lists his unit as 'B.O.A.C.'

Regards

Simon

Thanks

My uncle, Sgt Pilot Charles M Adams was one of those killed in this accident. He, along with others is buried in the war cemetery in Khartoum. He left a twin brother also in the RAF - Sqn Ldr A W Adams. We still have the letters returned to my mother (his sister)by the RAF postal people as not found. His nickname was Smiler as all photos of him show him smiling. He loved his tobacco pipe!