Thread: ORB's for 106 Sqn April to July 1942.

Thanks

Default ORB's for 106 Sqn April to July 1942.

Hi All,
    I am looking for the ORB's for 106 Sqn April to July 1942. I am researching an Australian who became a pow when shot down on the night of 27 July 1942. I believe it was his fifth operation.

Alan W do you have these ORB's? Could you contact me anyway as my computer crashed and I lost all my old emails/address.

Best regards,

John.

Thanks

Hello,

The following might be of interest:

AUS403108 Sgt James Charles HENRY RAAF.

UNCONSCIOUS ON ARRIVAL.
    Jim Henry (Observer/Navigator).

I was stationed at Coningsby in Lincolnshire with Squadron 106 RAF. I had flown two trips on Manchesters and then we were equipped with Lancasters, the third squadron to receive them.

On the night of 26 July '42, we were briefed to raid Hamburg. We had been there before and to Warnemunde, Wilhelmshaven, and Danzig. This was to be my fifth trip.

We had two changes to our regular crew: Front Gunner/Bomb Aimer, P.O. Fuller, RAF and Mid-Upper Gunner P.O. Humphries, RAF, on his first trip. The "regulars" of our crew were Pilot, S/Ldr Robertson, Rhodesia; W/Op, Sgt Dembrey, RAF; Rear Gunner, Sgt Stoker, RAF; and Observer/Navigator, myself, RAAF. So we really had a mixed crew.

We took off for Hamburg about 8.30pm*. Over the North Sea our troubles started. The W/Op reported his radio out-of-order. Then the Rear Gunner's guns, all four of them, jammed and wouldn't fire. With these two malfunctions, we should have returned. However, the Skipper decided to push on to the target,

But we had further trouble. Arriving over target, we found the bomb doors wouldn't open. They were jammed. We had no option but to return home with the full load of bombs.

Over Friesland, and five minutes from the North Sea, we were attacked by a German JU88 night fighter. Forty years later, I learned from a Dutch source, that the fighter came from the fighter base at Leeuwarden in Friesland and the pilot was Lt Linke, a German Ace with 27 kills to his credit. He himself was shot down and killed in 1943.

The story goes on to describe Henry's bale-out (knocking himself out in the process) and capture, and his various activities whilst a prisoner-of-war.

See:
    Stories of the RAAF POWS of Lamsdorf including chronicles of their 500 Mile Trek.
    Holliday,J.E. (ed.) assisted by D.A.Radke.
    Holland Park:Lamsdorf RAAF POWS Association,1992.
    pp.60-1.

* I honestly doubt the take-off time quoted!

As far a I can tell, Henry's ops looked like this:

Hamburg - 8/9-4-1942
    Warnemunde - 8/9-5-1942
    Wilhemshaven - 8/9-7-1942
    Danzig - 11-7-1942 (D)
    Hamburg - 26/27-7-1942 - FTR.

Subject to correction.

Unfortunately, Jim Henry passed away, aged 97, on 26 August, 2013.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 14th August 2016 at 00:48.

Thanks

Hi Col,

Many thanks for that information. I'll pass it on to a woman I recently meet who knew Jim post WWII.

Regards,

John.