Thread: Looking for Information on Carl Albert Wilson Sqn/L (J/9871) DFC

Thanks

Default Looking for Information on Carl Albert Wilson Sqn/L (J/9871) DFC

Hello All,
    I am trying to track down more information about the missions and the flight crews that my Grandfather flew with.
    He flew with the 100th Sqd in 1942 and 1943, completed 28 missions and was given the ability to go home which he did.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Best regards,
    Darren Kent
    Last edited by DarrenKent; 24th August 2016 at 14:01.

Thanks

Hi Darren,

I've got a Flt/Lt Carl Albert Wilson in my records who flew with 100 Squadron between June and October 1943, with a DFC being Gazetted in November of the same year - I'm assuming this is probably your Grandfather. He wouldn't have been with 100 in 1942 as the squadron was wiped out by the Japanese in Singapore at the start of that year, and didn't reform as a heavy bomber squadron in the UK, at Waltham, until December of 1942. They didn't fly operationally until March 1943.

Your Grandfather was posted to 100 Squadron on the 14th of June 1943 from 1662 Heavy Conversion Unit, and flew his first operation on the night of the 20th/21st of June 1943, a mining trip. At some point between the two dates it is likely that he flew a "second dickie" trip with an experienced crew, but unfortunately the squadron records for the period don't record these details. As you quite rightly say, he flew 28 operations during his tour, and seems to have had quite a lively time of it - on his second sortie he was coned by enemy searchlights and damaged by enemy flak, and on his next trip he was damaged by flak again. On another trip he managed to get a coveted "Aiming Point Photograph" and on yet another trip was damaged by gun fire from another Lancaster. He took part in both the Battle of the Ruhr and the Battle of Hamburg, and (depending which version of history you subscribe to) flew on the first two raids in the Battle of Berlin.

I'm afraid I have neither a recommendation nor a citation for his DFC, but looking at the London Gazette date I'd make a guess it was an "end of tour" award. HUgh Halliday, who posts regularly on this forum, may be able to help you out with more information on that.

If you let me know specifically what information you're looking for, I'll dig it out and email it to you.

Hope that helps, and very best wishes,

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Darren,

From Hugh Halliday's Honours and Awards:

WILSON, F/L Carl Albert (J9871) - Distinguished Flying Cross - No.100 Squadron - Award effective 6 November 1943 as per London Gazette dated 12 November 1943 and AFRO 358/44 dated 18 February 1944. Born 16 December 1913. Home in Lindsay, Ontario; enlisted in Toronto, 7 June 1940. To No.1 ITS, 24 June 1940; graduated and promoted LAC on 20 July 1940 although date of posting toNo.1 EFTS was 19 July 1940; graduated 13 September 1940 when posted to No.4 SFTS; (graduated and promoted Sergeant, 18 November 1940. To Trenton, 6 January 1941. To No.2 SFTS, 24 March 1941. Commissioned 15 December 1941. To No.1 SFTS, 23 February 1942. Promoted Flying Officer, 15 July 1942. To Y Depot, 23 October 1942; to RAF overseas, 29 October 1943. Promoted Flight Lieutenant, 9 August 1943. Promoted Squadron Leader, 14 March 1944. Repatriated 14 December 1944. Retired 20 March 1945. Award sent by registered mail 27 May 1946.

This captain of aircraft commenced his operational career during the battle of the Ruhr and on his first two sorties, in spite of damage to his aircraft from anti-aircraft fire, he achieved excellent results. In August 1943, when detailed to attack Nuremburg, the rear turret of his aircraft became unserviceable soon after crossing the enemy coast. Nevertheless he pressed on with his attack and successfully bombed his target. Weather permitting, this officer has consistently obtained good night photographs showing a steady run over the target. Throughout he has proved himself to be a most conscientious, determined and courageous captain.
    Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Cheers for that Dave - long time no speak, how are you?

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Thank-you Dave for the information.
    Something that I have not noticed before, do you know what the AFRO 358/44 dated 18 Feb 1944 stands for?
    Regards,
    Darren

Thanks

This is fantastic information Greg. I really do appreciate you getting this for me and the rest of my family.
    You talk about flak and I have a picture of a piece of flak that hit my Grandfathers tomato soup thermos and made it explode and they thought that he had been hit ( just like in the movie Memphis Belle) . My Uncle still has the piece and I just 2 weeks ago was able to see it for the first time.

The type of information I am looking for is anything about the missions he was on, what happened to his plane during these missions. I really am looking for anything and everything. I have photos and my uncle has his medals and such.
    My end goal is to be able to present my family , Mr. Wilsons son and daughter ( my mother) with a presentation of such information with a time line and with photos and such.
    I have always been interested in my Grandfathers history but when he was living he would never talk about this time in his life and I do understand why.
    We as a family would like information about the crew that he flew with, unfortunately our understanding is that there was one mission that all were killed except my Grandfather.

There is so much that we would like to know but until now have never been able to get it.
    I do appreciate getting information that you may have. My email address is : deekent@cabletv.on.ca

Thanks again for replying!! Have a great day.

Thanks

Hi Darren,

AFRO - Air Force Routine Order. So the one quoted would be the 358th issued in 1944.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Darren,

You need to examine the Squadron Operational Record Book (F540). Each Squadron was mandated to compile a monthly record of the operations flown. In my experience they differ quite widely in content (from unit to unit and throughout different phases of the war), but if you want to know what missions he flew on, with whom and what happened on those missions, this is your best port of call. If Greg can't help you (and no one else steps up), you can access these ORBs via the UK national Archives website. They will however cost you to either download or copy. Failing that, microfiche versions are available at the LAC in Ottawa.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

HI Darren,

No problem. I have the Ops Record Book that Jonny has mentioned, and I'll get the relevant pages emailed off to you over the weekend, along with any other bits I find that I think you'll find useful. I'm currently re-writing, updating, and expanding the previously published history of 100 Squadron, and it sounds like the thermos flask story should be included!!

With regard to all the crew being killed with the exception of your Grandfather, I can tell you that didn't happen while he was with 100. However, he may well have been involved in such an accident while he was training before he got to 100. I'll have a dig around and see what I can find.

All the best,

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Hi Greg,

Hope all is well with you.
    In regards to the incident where we were told that his entire crew was killed was just the story the Grandkids were told. So how true we don't know. This is the reason we are trying to piece together my Grandfathers time over there.
    I hate to bother you but, I was wondering if you had a chance to gather the Ops Records that you have and could send to me.
    Thanks in advance.
    Darren