Thread: Mixed-Up Stevensons

Thanks

Default Mixed-Up Stevensons

This is a story of two Stevenson's who appear (according to the LG) in the Meteorological Branch of the RAFVR during WW2.
    The first is relatively straightforward. He is Ernest Grant Hervey Stevenson and he is Commissioned as a Fg Off (132265) in the Met Branch of the RAFVR wef 1 Nov 42. There are no further entries (that I can find!) for him in the LG. This is not unusual. He was probably overseas (N Africa may be favourite) when Commissioned and spent the rest of the war doing his Met job with just one single ring. There were very many just like him.
    The second Stevenson is difficult!! At some stage in Sep 39 a Gilchrist Charles Stevenson walks in off the street to Cardington and becomes 947990 Airman G C Stevenson in the RAFVR. On 1 Feb 42 the RAF Regiment was invented. By 10 Dec 42 our G C Stevenson is now a Corporal and is Commissioned as Probationary Plt Off (134820) in the RAF Regiment. The nearest Met Branch numbers I have are 134662 (lower) and 134927 (higher). By 27 Jul 43 he is Promoted from P/Plt Off to Fg Off - still in the RAF Regt. However, on 23 Jun 44 he is reported, by the LG, as being Dismissed The Service by a General Court Martial. Not only that, but the announcement does not occur in the LG until 19 Apr 46(!!!!) and then places him in the Met Branch!!! There is a smell of rat upon the air.
    The RAFM have said that G C Stevenson occurs at least once in the Air Force List for 1945 (i.e. after having been supposedly Dismissed!). I do not have access to the Lists. Would someone be kind enough to check for me? The National Archives (AIR/18) have no record of any RAF Gen CM in Jun 44 (the guy actually went and checked the paper copies, and came back to my email within a couple of hours. Now that's service!)
    So there is a problem. Either this Regt Officer G C Stevenson was Court Martialled and Dismissed - or he was not! If he was not, then who was? It has been suggested (tongue in cheek!) by those who shall remain nameless (but who inhabit Hendon!!) that the LG might have got its Stevenson's mixed up. This would mean that one of my Met Men had got himself into a "spot of bother"!! I would like to know!
    I may have overlooked something blindingly obvious (Lyffe will confirm that I am prone to this sort of thing!!) but any help (facetious or otherwise!) will be gratefully received. How do I progress this one any further?
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 19th June 2008 at 15:36. Reason: Various typos

Thanks

G C Stevenson

He was listed in the Oct 1945 AFL as War Substantive Fg Off with effect 10 Jun 1943 in the RAF Regiment

Malcolm

Thanks

Malcolm, Hi,
    Thanks for that - looks like LG typo.
    Rgds
    Peter
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,

An LG typo is certainly a possibility, there were/are many of them. I am curious however that no correction/amendment can be found in subsequent issues. I searched G. C. Stevenson and variations of his service number well into the 1950's and no hits.

The LG during the war years was quite forthright in admitting it's mistakes as evidenced by the many published corrections and amendments. Perhaps your man was incorrectly identified in the LG and it was not brought to thier attention?