Thread: Mention in Dispatch honors missing from Grandfathers medals

Thanks

Default Mention in Dispatch honors missing from Grandfathers medals

Hello All,

If my Grandfather was given the honor's of a "Mentioned in Dispatch" and is not with his medals, is there anyway that a replacement Oak leaf can be received?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Darren,

You won't get an official replacement from the MOD unless you can prove that the MID emblem was not issued in the first place by the Air Ministry. The only way to do this is by writing to the MOD Medal Office for confirmation (you can Google their address in Innsworth). In my experience, however, if you have your granfather's issued medals, then the emblem would probably have been sent to him when he claimed his gongs all those years ago, ergo, it's probably been lost. Having said that, most medal dealers will carry original emblems in their stock. You can simply buy one. They normally sell in the region of 10 - 20. I would not advise picking one up on Ebay as there are loads of copies out there.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Thanks Jonny, I will look into the matter the way that you have directed me, much appreciated.
    Have a great day.
    Darren

Thanks

DarrenKent,

Just a word of caution, if I may.

First, I suggest you check that your grandfather was indeed awarded an MID. It should appear in the London Gazette and, if post war, there is a book I have and can look it up for you.

I intend no disrespect to your grandfather's memory but occasionally cited awards are made known to an individual but then not confirmed by an actual award. I meet regularly a gentleman who claims (and wears) an award which he says was for rescuing the crew of an aircraft which crashed on take-off somewhere hot and exotic. Unfortunately, the navigator of said aircraft is a friend of mine. He is certain that, by the time anybody else turned up, the aircraft was burnt out and the crew was sitting on the grass having a fag.

Whilst the first gentleman (there is some doubt whether a navigator can be called a gentleman!!!!) might have received a certificate of commendation for his good service over a long period at the exotic base aforementioned, that does not translate to a Queen's Commendation for Brave Conduct.

Caution with anything to do with awards is, I have found, well worth the extra effort.

Colin Cummings
    Last edited by Oldduffer; 26th August 2016 at 06:48.