Thread: Three airmen of 7 Squadron buried in Hamburg 24/03/1944

Thanks

Default Three airmen of 7 Squadron buried in Hamburg 24/03/1944

Can anyone help with information about Sgt Francis Henry Fowler 1850079, Sgt Charles Butson 1310755 and F/O Douglas George William Humphreys 144604? They all died on 24 March 1944 and are buried in Hamburg. All belonged to 7 Squadron. But which aircraft? What happened to the rest of the crew? How did they end up in Hamburg? Fowler was flight engineer and Butson mid-upper gunner.

Thanks

Hi

Lancaster ND457 crashed at Warder 17 kms south east of Rendsburg. The crew was;

P/O T E R Kyle RAAF Pilot.+

Sgt F H Fowler F/Eng +

F/O D G W Humphreys Nav +

F/Sgt J H D MacDonnell RAAF B/Aimer +

Sgt R A Hide W/Op POW

Sgt C Burton Mid/Upper +

F/Sgt C Hughes RNZAF POW

Both the Aussies crash files are not on line at the Archives. You can request them if you go to the National Archives Australia web site, they are about $30 each.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hi
    To add to my last reply. They were shot down on the way to Berlin most likely by flak. Those who were killed were buried locally and after the war went to the nearest War Cemetery, in this case Hamburg.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hi

Members of the crew who died, were all original buried at Neumünster Cemetery. Date of reburial was 6.9.46, Hamburg (Ohlsdorf) Cemetery.

Regards

Finn Buch
    Last edited by Argus; 29th August 2016 at 21:52.

Thanks

Thank you John and Finn for the information. Butson and Fowler originally belonged to a different crew, which included Butsons brother Jimmy. For some reason that crew (pilot W.B.Smaill) was partly changed and C.Butson and Fowler flew with Kyle. Maybe they were just filling in, but a sister of the Butson brothers remembers the event as both brothers being scheduled to fly. Jimmy became ill and missed this op.
    I have ordered Kyles records now, so will see what info is in there.

Thanks

Dear all,

I have checked but there's no matching Flak claim. I do have a matching Nachtjagd victory claim however, here's the entry taken from the Nachtjagd War Diaries 2nd edition manuscript:

Hptm. Eduard Schröder: 8 12./NJG3 4-mot Kiel area: 5.500 m. 21.35-45 7 Sqn Lancaster ND457

It would indeed be interesting to see what new information can be found in Kyle's records.

May I ask if there is a photo of the crew and of ND457 available?

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Hi Theo,

this is very interesting. Great work! Unfortunately I have no photo of the crew, only of Charles Butson with his previous crew. Would this other aircraft be in your records? PB180 (MG-F) of 7 Squadron, shot down (?) over Kiel (or the Baltic) on 26/27 August 1944?