Thread: Wireless Operator Training

Thanks

Default Wireless Operator Training

After undergoing Wireless Operator training at No 1 Signals School at RAF Cranwell North for many weeks, can anyone tell me whether it was normal to take a 3 week course at No 7 Signals School, South Kensington? I thought the latter place was for training ground based Wireless Operators.

Thanks

Can you provide more details on the dates and his subsequent posting as this may help put it in context

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

I can't lay hands on my copy of "SOE 1940-46", by M R D Foot, and I don't wish to let loose another 'hare' to be chased, but I'm fairly certain there was a 'wireless school' in the Marylebone/Kensington areas that was used, inter alia, by SOE - and other 'hooligan communicators'.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi
    It took a long time to bring a Wireless Operator up to speed using Morse and handling Radio in all conditions, so it would not be surprising if they were sent somewhere else to learn what to do with their new skills once they were qualified
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

No 7 radio school,South Kensington was used to train ground operators. Perhaps your man expanded his knowledge or there were no aircrew positions available.

Paul h

Thanks

Thanks to all who responded. It was precisely because he was just a normal Wireless Operator/Air Gunner (39 routine missions/sorties/patrols on Coastal Command normal activities) that this stirred my interest! The great thing about this forum is the number of knowledgeable and interested people and I really appreciate your contributions.

Neville