Thread: W/O J.V.S. Fackrell-Wrentmore 1339875 (moved)

Thanks

Default W/O J.V.S. Fackrell-Wrentmore 1339875 (moved)

HI all,
    was hoping someone here can help as you all seem very knowledgeable. My late grandfather was a wireless operator mostly with coastal command. I have managed to get his service record from the M.O.D. and was hoping someone can point me in the right direction so I can find out which sorties he flew on and possibly the plane numbers and the amazing guys he flew with.
    He enlisted on 25.8.1941 at Weston super mare his record shows a few illegible scribbles which I am guessing are radio school and signals school. He was then assigned to 550 OTU ON 10.7.1942 and then 48 s on 11.11.42 then off to air gunner school on 13.3.42 he was later assigned to 4 (c) OTU on 8.43 he then spent some time at penbroke dock before being assigned to 228 squadron on 1.11.43. he then went on to 270 squadron on 18.12.43 he was admitted to 68th WAG Hospital on 14.6.44 and released again on 4.7.44 there is a gap after that which im guessing means he was still with 270 Squadron until he was assigned to 1080 TU ON 22.1.45 more illegible info until he was assigned to comms squadron west africa on 2.6.45. he later had something to do with 1314 flight, hq UTC 187 squadron and 46 squadron. I never new my grandfather due to a family rift so have no knowledge of anything he did during the war. I have come across an old photo with names on the rear which I think maybe west africa but if someone here can enlighten me that would be appreciated. the name s i can read are flt/sgt Gates, flt/sgt Dempster flt/sgt Gray flt/sgt Litman f/o Asprey w/o Wall f/o Smith p/o Hanchett and obviously my grandfather. Any help with anything would be very welcome

thanks
    Brian

Thanks

Brian, Hi - Welcome,

This looks like yr man?

JOHN S V FACKRELL
    Birth year 1923 Birth quarter 2
    Mother's last name O'CONNELL
    District BRISTOL County Gloucestershire Volume 6A Page 83.

Slight problem (but only slight!) with his Enlistment location. The Number is - according to some lists - Enlisted between Jun 1940 - Feb 1941. Can't find when he became Fackrell-Wrentmore.

Difficult to find any details of the names on the photo without (at least!) the initials (simply "Fg Off Smith" says the problem!!). Some of the "scribbles" on the Service Record may be decryptable if we could see a pic! Can copy to Forum?

HTH

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply, yes that's my grandfather I managed to get a copy of his birth cert and marriage cert from the BMD website. Not sure about the name change thing but It says fackrell-wrentmore on the marriage cert which was 1945. I do know he was adopted by his aunt which Is where the wrentmore came from. sorry don,t have permission to post attachments for some reason so cant upload anything. the names of the crew do have job titles not sure If this would be of any help, It also has a heading which I think says LAST OF 10 WELLS CREW .

thanks again

Brian