Thread: W/Cdr. Anthony Gadd, 6th August 1944, N 236 Squadron

Thanks

Default W/Cdr. Anthony Gadd, 6th August 1944, N 236 Squadron

Hello,

On 6th of August 1944, Beaufighter aircraft from N 236 Sqdn attacked ennemy vessels in the harbour of Les Sables d'Olonne in West of France. I have the corresponding 236 Sqdn's ORBs, but only Form 540, not Form 541 with the list of the involved crews. As far as I know, W/Cdr. A. Gadd was not appointed to this Sqdn in August 1944 (or any else period). But he was an expert in shipping attacks. So, my (a little bit nave) question is : as a shipping attacks expert, did he exceptionnally lead formations of any RAF Sqdn to attack German vessels, for instance on 6th of August 1944 at Les Sables d'Olonne ? May be friends who have N 236 Sqdns ORBs Form 541 could reply to this question ?

Many thanks in advance

Pierre Babin

Thanks

Pierre, at the time in question Tony Gadd was Wing Commander Flying at RAF North Coates where 236 were based. However the Command of 236 Sqn was about to change over from W/Cdr P.D.F. Mitchell to Squadron Leader Bill Tacon (RNZAF). It seems that Gadd therefore took the opportunity to fly with 236 during this time of transition. The attack of 6th August 1944 was actually launched from Davidstow Moor where detachments of 236 and 404 squadrons were temporarily based. The 236 detachment having only just arrived. The mission comprised 11 236 Sqn aircraft led by Gadd and with Tacon also taking part. Gadd's aircraft was hit by flak which blew the dinghy out of its housing causing control problems until it broke free completely.

This info comes from the book "The Strike Wings" by Roy Conyers Nesbit.

All the best, J

Thanks

Thank you very much Norfolkjohn. I drop you a PM

Pierre