Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fg Offr Davies, F.G. 80303

Thanks

Default Fg Offr Davies, F.G. 80303

All I have on this man is that he relinquished his RAFVR (Meteorological Branch) Commission on 4 Dec 1945 (London Gazette). Nothing else known, including first names, service history, etc. There may me a Southern Rhodesia connection.

Can anyone assist with information, please.

Thanks
    Gerry

Thanks

Gerry, The link to his commissioning: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...5565/page/2188
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Gerry, I presume this link is the one you have in regard to the relinquishment of his commission: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/1442
    Interesting that he remained a PO for the duration of his service. Hopefully the Met men on the forum can help out. Regards, Terry

Thanks

It was me, in a PM to Gerry, that started this off. He seemed to know about SRAF personnel.
    Frederick George Davies 80303. 80301, 80305, and 80307 were all Cmd into the RAFVR(Met Branch) from the SRAF (and reverted to it after WW2). A very large number of SRAF Met Men were Cmd into the RAFVR(Met Branch) in the 800xx, 801xx, 803xx, and 804xx number blocks, and I thought there might be a SRAF connection with this man! His Commissioning(and thus his Forenames) did not come up in the LG for me. There appeared to be a print 'glitch' on the page copy!
    So we have his Forenames - for which mni tks. Does anybody know what he did and where? As has been commented by Terry, staying a Plt Off for 4 years is a bit odd!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,

It's hardly surprising you couldn't find the commissioning of 80303 Frederick George DAVIES. He is listed under "Frederick George DA VIES (86303)!!!

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 13th September 2016 at 17:13.

Thanks

Tks Col,
    Whenever the LG does not do what I want it to do, I automatically assume it's getting its own back on me for cussin it!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Thanks gents, sorry to have wasted your time.

Thanks

Could I ask where the reference to "There may be a Southern Rhodesia connection" comes from?

I've searched through AP1134 "The Second World War 1939-1945: Meteorology" (basically the history of the Met Office during WW2) and can find no reference to Southern Rhodesia or a Southern Rhodesia Met Service. There was a British East Africa Met Service (BEAMS) which was particularly active during WW2, but this incorporated Northern Rhodesia, Uganda, Keyna, Tanganyika and Zanzibar. So far as I can gather met services for Southern Rhodesia were provided by the South African Air Force Met Service.

This leaves me wondering if Davies was one of many Southern Rhodesians who made their way to the UK and volunteered to serve in the Armed Forces - in his case as aircrew. On failing to make the grade (medical?) he was transferred to the Met Branch, a not unusual occurrence; the P/O rank implies he would have been a forecaster.

So far as I can determine SRAF had just two squadrons at the beginning of the war - No 1 Squadron SRAF (soon to become No 237 (Rhodesia) Squadron Royal Air Force) and a Communications Squadron (if https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Air_Force is to be believed). Consequently I'd query Peter's comment about "a very large number of SRAF Met Men were Cmd into the RAFVR(Met Branch)", on the grounds there was no requirement for a large number of Rhodesian meteorologists in 1941.

I note that of Davies and three contemporaries commissioned as P/Os in 1941, three were still P/Os when demobilised in 1945.

Brian

Thanks

Hello All,

I will try to answer as many questions as I can and – at the same time – stop any circular references.

I have a s/sheet of Uniformed (UK) Meteorologists. It is a never ending job resolving anomalies, and missing info.

I found an F.G.Davies (80303) – no Forenames, just Initials – who might have been S Rhodesian. I tried to find his Commissioning in the LG in order the get the Forenames (COL has explained how I came unstuck on that one!).

Gerry posted in a Thread involving S Rhodesia. I emailed Gerry (off Forum) to see if he had any bright ideas – thus (I assume) his later Thread on F G Davies.

In the blocks of Officer’s Numbers, 80301 to 80307 (inc) are all Cmd in (or Relinquish from) the RAFVR (Met Branch) – too many for that successive numbering to be accidental? One other was Cmd into the A&SD Branch, but Relinquished from the Met Branch. There are many more in other blocks (I could dig them all out if anybody is interested?).

So, who wanted a batch of S Rhodesian(?) Met Men – and what were they going to do with them? This would seem to negate Brian’s ideas of ‘washed-out aircrew’ being turned into Met Men.

The ideas of Southern Rhodesia Air Force (SRAF) come from the LG (I copy them to save you the trouble of finding them in the LG).

One:-
    METEOROLOGICAL BRANCH.
    The undermentioned -officers of the S. Rhodesian A.F.'to be Pit. Offs. '(emergency) :—
    George RATTRAY (80483). ist Mar.; 1942.
    John Duncan TORRANCE (80487): loth Mar. 1942.

And Two:-
    METEOROLOGICAL BRANCH. Commission relinquished.
    The undermtd. (on reversion to Southern Rhodesian Forces) : —
    Flight Lieutenant: —
    P. E. BENNETT (80301). i5th Sept. 1945.
    Flying Officers: —
    R. McCHLERY (80496). 3oth Sept. 1944.
    H. HALLAM (80016). 5th Feb. 1945.
    E. PARRY JONES (160026). 24th June 1945.
    R. C. MclLLERON (160024). 3rd Aug. 1945.
    D'A. B. ROBINSON (80307). i8th Sept. 1945.
    G. W. P. KING (80305). 25th Sept. 1945.
    G. RATTRAY (80483). gth Oct. 1945.
    Pilot 'Officer: —
    G. R. BATES (160016). 2nd June 1945.

The Who and the When is becoming discernible. What I want to know is the Where and the Why? I would be grateful for any ideas!

HTH/TIA

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 14th September 2016 at 12:21.

Thanks

Peter

A slightly tenuous possibility, but there's a Frederick George Davies listed as arriving on the 'Dunvegan Castle' from Durban into Southampton, May 2nd 1938. His age is listed as 22, and his Country of Last Permanent Residence is given as South Rhodesia. Occupation is Civil Servant. He travelled with three other Davies: Iris Regina Davies, aged 37, a housewife from Brecon, Wales, Edith Mary Davies, aged 52, also a housewife, from South Rhodesia and Phyllis Mary Davies, aged 25, a Clerk, from South Rhodesia.

Regards

Simon