Thread: F/O James Campbell 541 PRU

Thanks

Default F/O James Campbell 541 PRU

Hi, Flying Officer James Russell Campbell was a Spitfire pilot with 541 PRU. The ORB states that he was killed as he flew between Benson and St Eval when his plane crashed in low cloud. Just wondered if anyone knows the Spitfire’s serial number and where it came down?
    Thanks in advance
    Adrian

Thanks

Hello,

1 June 1944 - 541 Sqn.

Flying Officer J. R. Campbell in Spitfire PR XI MB902 crashed on a transit flight from Benson to St Eval. The aircraft was found wrecked on high ground west of Devizes*. The pilot was killed.

James Russell Campbell RAFVR s/n 155796. Died on 1 June 1944 and is buried in Llandudno (Great Orme's Head) Cemetery.

* Campbell's death registered in Devizes, Wiltshire.

See:
    RAF Benson:A Diary of Wartime Losses.
    Ottaway,Reginald H.
    Andover:Speedman Press,2010.
    p.112.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 12th September 2016 at 15:45.

Thanks

Thank you so much Col Bruggy for the information and quick response - much appreciated. Adrian

Thanks

Hello All - for info!
    The main Officer's Mess building at Benson was of the 'usual' 1936 expansion character (did two exceptionally good - post-ww2 - tours there!!). At some stage an additional (dormitory) wing was built on the south-east side. When I was there it was actually used as 'office accommodation' for HQ 38 Grp (my office had a washbasin in it!!).
    But, on the walls of the corridor from the main Mess to the extension there was/is a very large number of photo prints of 'special occasions' at RAF Benson, and of persons (often) in the various PRU Units. Some had names, etc, and on some a/c idents were visible!
    Has anybody ever copied/scanned these? And/or, if not, why not? Might be a project for somebody?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter,

I made enquiries about these photos a number of years ago. I was told they are no longer on the mess walls and no one knew where they were or what ultimately happened to them.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum