Thread: Newmarket area Stirling losses

Thanks

Default Newmarket area Stirling losses

Having just been part of a dedication service of a plaque on the July Racecourse to Stirling R9245 75 (NZ) Squadron and also aware of the loss of BK721 of the same squadron which also clipped the Devils Dyke, I now am told of another Stirling that crashed near Six Mile Bottom in late summer of 1941.

I have tried every angle I can think of on the internet, but to no avail, I cannot track this one down. Seemingly it was on fire as it passed over Dullingham but my informant has not got the exact date, just one afternoon around 5 pm late summer 1941. He went to the crash site but was turned away.

That early it seems more likely to have been a 7 or 15 Sqdn aircraft but so far I have drwn a blank there

Any idea where I should direct my search please..It appears the crew were lost in the impact but of course I do not even have the advantage of knowing any names

(Note: username NEWMARKET and SPARKIE are same person, SPARKIE will be used for further posts. Just part of the fun)
    This is a side track to my main endeavour which is www.undyingmemory.net

Regards

Tony Pringle
    Last edited by bruce dennis; 17th September 2016 at 20:43. Reason: clarification

Thanks

N6085 MG-H of 7 Sqn Sqn Ldr D IMcCloud, shot down by Ju 88 intruder of 1/NJG2 3.10.41...................could this be it? Crashed near Bourn returning from Brest. P/O J Alverston and Sgt I hunter parachuted to safety.
    regards Peter

Thanks

Thanks Peter, but my informant assures me that it was much closer to Newmarket..He actually puts it as 588 E 598N on his Ordnance Survey map. He seems sure of the year, and reckons on July 1941, but I still cannot find it. R9299 crashed in 1942 near Newmarket, another I will have to check out when I next get to Kew.

Regards
    Tony

Thanks

It now seems more than likely that this aircraft was in fact R9299 and the date was in fact 1942.
    Now got to find actual impact point for R9245 on 16th December 1942...any help appreciated...

Thanks

Tony

Thanks

Hi Tony
    Was nice to meet you at the unveiling of R9245's plaque at Newmarket. Do you know if there were any articles in the local newspaper about it in December 1942? I would be interested for Sgt Harvey's niece Chris :) and for myself :)
    Regards
    Dee Boneham