Thread: Flt. Lt. Dobson 53 Squadron 1941-1943

Thanks

Default Flt. Lt. Dobson 53 Squadron 1941-1943

Greetings!
    Can anyone out there help me find details of a Flt/Lt. Dobson who served with 53 Squadron during 1941 (as a Pilot Officer) through to February 1943. I am looking for his forenames, service number and any other details that might be available. This Dobson is not to be confused with F/O. R.E. Dobson who also flew with 53 Squadron later on on Liberators, and who was a POW (30th July 1943).
    Many thanks in advance.
    Jonathan

Thanks

I've been bashing my head against a brick wall with this one.
    I have found one likely candidate, Flt. Lt. Lancelot Spencer DOBSON (88687), who was lost later in the war while serving with 248 Sqn. His Mosquito FB Mk.VI ditched in the English Channel on 12th August 1944 and co pilot survived.
    Can anyone of you kind souls confirm that this is the same Dobson as I am searching for?
    Thanks in advance, Jonathan

Thanks

Just looked in 53 Squad ORB. P/O LS Dobson reported on posting from No 2 School of Army Flying on 21/4/41. however slightly confusingly in an entry on the 11 May 1941 reports P/O Dobson, Sqt Kyle and Sgt Hall flew on a Bust patrol at 13.30 and returned before ETA at 14.50 due to a faulty oil pressure and stoppage in rear gun.
    My uncle was with 53 Squadron at the time but was shot down in Bay of Bisca in June.
    Cheers MB

Thanks

A bit of further info about might help. Dobson arrived very shortly after my uncle Charles Heygate so it is likely that he would have been on the 19th or 20th Course of the No 2 School of Army Co-op (Charles's course 19(a) started on 3/Nov/1941 and he arrived at 53 squad on the 14/3/41.)
    Steve Brooking wrote in an earlier post in 2008 that ...“RAF Flying Training and Support Units” by Sturtivant, Hamlin and Halley records that No 2 School of AC was formed at Andover on 20/10/39 to “train crews on Blenheims and Ansons which were unsuitable for the airfield at Old Sarum”
    Cheers
    MB

Thanks

Thank you for the info, Motherbird.
    I had confirmation of this the other day from one of the chaps over on the 12 O'Clock High forum.
    My father, Jack Hubert Stigner, was posted to 53 Squadron on 30th April 1941, and I think he was on the 21st Course of the No 2 School of Army Co-op before arriving at 53 Sqn.
    I may be wrong in this, but I think it was your father, David Greville-Heygate, who met with my father on New Year's Eve 1943 in Liverpool - my father had been posted to No:15 Group Headquarters Western Approaches in Liverpool after finishing his tour with 53 Sqn. In this meeting David Greville-Heygate learned from my father of the activities of 53 Squadron and of how your Uncle Charles lost his life. David Greville-Heygate then wrote himself an eight page memo of this meeting, a copy of which I received from your brother some time ago.
    It was in this memo that I found that, of all the pilots that served in 53 Squadron during the early 1941 period (on Bristol Blenheim aircraft, and then later on Lockheed Hudsons) through to the squadron reorganisation at the beginning of 1943, only three survived, Sqn. Leader Anthony Hilditch, Flt. Lt. Lancelot Dobson, and my father, Flt. Lt. Jack Stigner. Both Hilditch and my father survived the war, while, as you can see, Dobson was lost on the night of 11/12th August 1944 while serving with 248 Squadron.
    I would be very happy to have further contact with you via e-mail.
    Best regards,
    Jonathan