Thread: No.55 OTU RAF Annan ORB 15.6.1942

Thanks

Default No.55 OTU RAF Annan ORB 15.6.1942

Hi-Does any forum member have the 55 Operational Training Unit RAF Annan Operations Record Book as I am seeking any information or a possible entry in the ORB for a Hawker Hurricane W9127 crash at this Station or nearby? on the 15.6.1942.This Hurricane had an accident at RAF Usworth before going to RAF Annan.
    Any help would be great on this Annan accident.

Regards,Philip
    55 Aircraft Accidents Research Group

Thanks

Hi Phillip,
    ORB 15.6.42
    Flying accident to Hurricane W.9217 (You have W9127) at Crofton Hall, East Park , Crofton, Cumberland. Pilot 1291611 Sgt. Bryant J.H. injured. Cause of accident due to pilot striking telegraph wires whilst carrying out low flying exercises.
    Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Hello

There's also Sgt Jacques Thorfinn GOODSIR, 656309 flying accident in Hurricane I P3227, 1/2 miles west of Kirtlebridge, Dumfriesshire. mecanical cause. His father was a WW1 officer and his mother was French.

Joss

Thanks

Hi-Thanks very much for your replies about Hawker Hurricane W9127 which you have nicely confirmed having an accident in Cumbria on the 15.6.1942 and not on its aerodrome at RAF Annan.The purpose of this thread was to rule out this Cumbria crash as a photograph has appeared in a recent book showing its crash at RAF Usworth in 1941 whilst here in No.55 OTU or to confirm that the photograph was taken at RAF Usworth so thanks again.

Regards,Philip

Thanks

Can I ask which ORB the reference to W9127 comes from, I have a copy of the 55 OTU ORB and only the accident mentioned by Joss is mentioned.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi Alan,

No.55 OTU ORB, RAF, Annan, Form 540.
    There is also the third accident that day: „Flying accident to Hurricane W.9119 at Kirkbridge Aerodrome, Cumberland. Pilot Aus.11770 (correctly should be 411770) Sgt. D.E.W. Garvan, uninjured. Cause of accident due to suspected Engine failure, pilot carried out a forced landing and over-shot.“

Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

I see why now, the Station Sick Quarters only recorded a single accident. Somewhere I do have a complete copy but I can't find it.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/