Thread: Meaning of SHQ at Almaza Transit Camp, near Cairo, 1942

Thanks

Default Meaning of SHQ at Almaza Transit Camp, near Cairo, 1942

I am editing the manuscript of an airman, Bill Kirkness DFM, in which he writes of his varied experiences up through his first tour of ops on 159 Sqn in India. In 1942, having delivered a Wellington to Egypt, he was told to report to Almaza Transit Camp on the outskirts of Cairo, to wait for his next posting. He wrote (in the third person):

At Almaza, after he'd found a tent for sleeping, he sought out info on where he'd be posted next. He wrote:

"Reporting to the office of SHQ, Bill noticed that the various departments were housed in what appeared to be wooden huts, but on closer inspection were revealed as the discarded packing crates of Hurricane fighters which had been shipped out to the Middle East in knocked down form and assembled in Egypt. When all necessary details had been provided to the satisfaction of the Orderly Room, the two were directed to the Sergeants’ Mess and told to keep their eyes on the notice board for notification of their posting to a squadron."

Can anyone tell me what SHQ stands for? HQ is probably Headquarters, and maybe S is meant to be the Station, meaning Almaza Transit Camp.

Bill doesn't define the term, a problem here and there in his manuscript. He knew what he meant, but it sometimes is not clear to the reader.

Thanks,

Matt
    Last edited by Matt Poole; 20th September 2016 at 03:02.

Thanks

Hi Matt - yes SHQ was the normal RAF abbreviation for Station Headquarters as you correctly surmise.

rgds baz

Thanks

Thanks for confirming my hunch, baz.

Matt