Thread: Occupation with a&sd branch

Thanks

Default Occupation with a&sd branch

78624 Alan Heath Rose was commissioned into the RAFVR A&SD Br on 19 Apr 40; served throughout the war and was awarded an m.i.d. on 1 Jun 43. His civilian occupation was surveyor. Presuming that the Air Force employed him within his civil occupation, would he have been employed in airfield construction? Do the Lists give any idea of employment? Any help appreciated. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Hi Terry

In 1944 he is listed in the ASD Branch (Admin and Miscellaneous Duties) and by this time there was a separate construction Branch but he hadn't been transferred to it. So either surveyors weren't classed as part of the ACB or he was employed on other duties.

Do you have any posting details?

Malcolm

Thanks

It would depend upon whether he was a 'Surveyor', or a 'Quantity Surveyor'. The former would be used to placing things in 3-dimensions with some accuracy, while the latter would be concerned more with the 'mechanics' of a project.
    A 'Surveyor' (in A&SD) might, possibly, have gravitated to Int, or Photo-Int.
    A 'Quantity Surveyor', I feel, might well have been involved with airfield construction. Possibly the RAF Liaison with AMWD, then MPBW, the PSA (or any fore-runners of AMWD?).
    In Apr 1940 (when he was Commissioned) the RAF involvement with the WW2 BEF was still airfields in France, etc. The formal ACB was some years away, but I suspect that the embryo ACB was needed - and a 'Surveyor' coming through the doors would have been welcomed!
    But we will see!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks to Malcolm and Peter for replying. As with most family history the important questions were left until far too late and nobody can give the right answer. I suspect surveyor rather than quantity surveyor, obviously the recommendation for the m.i.d., if it survived, would tell all. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Terry,
    His Service Record will contain his Postings. The Units and their locations will give you a great deal of info as to what he was up to!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!