Thread: Service Record Grandfather

Thanks

Default Service Record Grandfather

Hi

I am looking for some help and useful links about Grandfather time in the war

In Sept 1941 He went with H.9.18 Group to Malta and was at St Luqa for 3 years

He than came back and was stationed at Chigwell. He said once he was on the American beaches at DDay as part of the Mechanical team. He mentioned also that he was early into Paris but he mentioned it so little we are not sure.

His service record says 4/6/44. 5276 D Unit 85 Group G&J before being moved to 83 G.C.C on New Years Eve of 45.

He always talked about his landing craft being driven by an American and that there landing craft beached itself and all of there gear went straight to the bottom of the sea when they left the craft. I think he was on Omaha and may have been in one of the RAF Beach Squadrons

I am interested in any links or information UK, US or otherwise that I can follow.

Thanks
    Last edited by Robbozinoz; 22nd September 2016 at 09:36. Reason: Email notification turned on

Thanks

Hi

It would appear that your grandfather worked in the Radar/Signals field.

5276 D sounds like a Mobile Signals Unit (Type D), there were also MSU (Type G) and MSU (Type J) but none of these were allocated to No 85 Group, they were allocated to Nos 83 and 84 Groups. Also there doesn't appear to be a No 5276 MSU of any type. Some RAF ground units were attached to the US forces for the invasion but they would still be shown under an RAF Group.

H.9.18 Group may be a draft number rather than a unit.

83 GCC was No 83 Group Control Centre.

Later in the war Chigwell was a station were signals/radar units formed prior to being deployed.

Malcolm

Thanks

The number 5276 crops up several times in the 'previous references' of files in the WO219 series of items at Kew. WO219 is the records of the signals division of the War Office. Also, 'AIR16/1512 RAF Fighter Command correspondence on enemy jamming' cites 'Former reference in its original department = S.5276/2/Sigs'.
    So even though there was no 5276 MSU, as Malcolm says above, it looks like some unit concerned with signals co-operation between the services had 5276 in its title. I do not know what that unit was but the fact that the bulk of the files having that number as 'previous reference' are WO219 leads me to think it was an army unit with RAF attachments.

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Thanks Malcolm/Bruce

If you have the time and the inclination, could you have a look at the information below and provide some advice.

Here is an extract from his record with his movements on it - https://1drv.ms/i/s!Asvx1DVlN58fpSYwrnD1L0pWo97K

Your comment seem to make sense. He was definitely RAF and my wife reminded me that that his role was to look after communication - setup/maintenance. I noticed in the book by Leslie Robinson on RAF Beach Units that many of the those units were under Group 85 but on the day were listed under 83 Group because it had the ability to manage them on the beach.

The recount by Corporal Heathcotre (http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peop...a1947567.shtml) - where a landing craft gets beached on a sandbank and all the gear sinks to the bottom of the sea followed by the crew struggling to shore and using whatever they could to dig a foxhole is exactly the story my Grandfather to me (he actually said they also uncovered a landmine - which the promptly covered marked and moved away from. I assume it would be a relatively common occurance on the day and there is no chance is may be his landing craft???

He also mentioned being on a side street watching the Allies march down the Champs Elysee having already been there for 3 days I think - is it possible to track down the GCI he was part of and where it went?

I am also keen to decypher this page below. It has a listing of his service and then mention of a Form 3905 for suppllimentaryt service (what would this bpossibly be)
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!Asvx1DVlN58fpSdsT3wWIl1i3rNO

Lats but not least I am having trouble finding information on what his 3 years on Malta would have been like (not good I would imagine). Where do you think could I find more detailed information

Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

John

Thanks

Hi John

Most of the info on https://1drv.ms/i/s!Asvx1DVlN58fpSdsT3wWIl1i3rNO is admin info for the Records Office, however, he is shown as having Absconded and was sentenced to five days 'Confined to Camp'.

I'm not sure what Supplementary Form 3905 is.

2 RTW = probably No 2 Recruit Training Wing but its actual title was No 2 Recruit Centre
    RAF Station Kenley - holding posting
    3 SS = No 3 Signals School, Compton Bassett
    HQ 18 Group
    Malta (pending posting to a unit on the island)
    RAF Station Luqa
    HE = Transferred to Home Establishment
    RAF Chigwell
    No 5276 MSU (Type D) there is mention of it here http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads...andings.52471/ Some of those listed were under 83/84 Group but others weren't so presumably they was under Army/US control. It may have originally been in 85 Group but then moved. 'G&J' refer to paragraphs in the relevant POR document, long since destroyed.
    83 GCC = No 83 Group Control Centre
    103 Wing = No 103 (Air Disarmament) Wing
    102 PDC = No 102 Personnel Despatch Centre

Malcolm

Thanks

Default Thanks

Malcolm

Sincere thanks for your reply.

It has been great to speak to someone who can confirm facts for me.

Joh

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_raf View Post
    Hi John

Most of the info on https://1drv.ms/i/s!Asvx1DVlN58fpSdsT3wWIl1i3rNO is admin info for the Records Office, however, he is shown as having Absconded and was sentenced to five days 'Confined to Camp'.

I'm not sure what Supplementary Form 3905 is.

2 RTW = probably No 2 Recruit Training Wing but its actual title was No 2 Recruit Centre
    RAF Station Kenley - holding posting
    3 SS = No 3 Signals School, Compton Bassett
    HQ 18 Group
    Malta (pending posting to a unit on the island)
    RAF Station Luqa
    HE = Transferred to Home Establishment
    RAF Chigwell
    No 5276 MSU (Type D) there is mention of it here http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads...andings.52471/ Some of those listed were under 83/84 Group but others weren't so presumably they was under Army/US control. It may have originally been in 85 Group but then moved. 'G&J' refer to paragraphs in the relevant POR document, long since destroyed.
    83 GCC = No 83 Group Control Centre
    103 Wing = No 103 (Air Disarmament) Wing
    102 PDC = No 102 Personnel Despatch Centre

Malcolm

Thanks

102 PDC is actually 102 Personnel Dispersal Centre at RAF Cardington. Dispersal as in for demob.

Thanks

Hi Ian

I knew that but was rushing to get ready to go on holiday and mistyped it.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks

I think you may mean Luqa airfield rather than St Luqa. Is an airfield on Malta.