Thread: Rescue of a Wellington crew by the Fleet Air Arm

Thanks

Default Rescue of a Wellington crew by the Fleet Air Arm

On 30th November 1941 a Vickers Wellington Mk1c, serial no X3164 was shot down into the sea in the vicinity of Great Yarmouth and its crew spent the next 18 hours in a dinghy before being rescued by a Fleet Air Arm Supermarine Walrus based at RAF Coltishall near Norwich. I have the names of the crew of the Wellington but can anyone give me any help with details of the rescue and the rescuers. Many thanks.

Thanks

Hello,

From Norman Franks', "Another Kind of Courage" (p.21):

First off the mark was 278 Squadron. On the afternoon of 1 December, 1941, Sergeant W F Sims with Flight Sergeant S A Hurrell as air gunner, searching for a missing crew in Lysander V9609, found six men huddled in a dinghy. A Walrus was called, and Flight Lieutenant P R Smith and Flight Sergeant Atkinson, in Walrus L2238, flew to the spot, landed and picked up six Polish airmen.

Only a brief reprieve for the crew of No.304 Squadron Wellington IC Z3164. They failed to return from Wilhelmshaven on 10/11 January, 1942 in Wellington IC DV423 (BCL3/18)

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 26th September 2016 at 08:31.

Thanks

Thanks Col,

That is exactly the information I wanted. Until I saw an entry in the ORB Summary yesterday, I had assumed they had been picked up by a surface vessel. It's nice to have that little bit of additional information which gives me the full picture. Thanks again.

Neville