Thread: Friendly fire death of Viscount Clive 1943

Thanks

Default Friendly fire death of Viscount Clive 1943

Hi, I've had an email from a chap researching a particular crash involving a Mosquito. Can anybody help with any further details about what happened? There is a memorial at the crash scene and the gentleman already knows there were unusual circumstances - the suggestion is that the aircraft was shot down from the ground or by a Stirling bomber - but if anyone has the full monty, it would be great to be able to pass it on, or any incidental details about Viscount Clive's service. I am also in touch with Viscount Clive's great great nephew to see if there is any information which has been passed down the family, but he doesn't know much more than his relative died in the war.
    Anyway, this is the email I received: 'I am a member of the Manningtree History Society and looking for information on the circumstances in which led to the death of Viscount Clive. He was the
    pilot of a Mosquito which crashed in a wood near us in North East Essex. It is likely that any report will only say that he died on active service but this rather disguises the fact that there was no enemy involvement. The official description is "misadventure" but the facts are intriguing and complex and so far not properly explained. The crash is identified as 157 Squadron, DZ248 23/24 -3-43.'

Thanks

Hello

Suppose you have seen this:-

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=71081

Dived into ground Bradfield Essex. Aircraft had been vectored onto the unknown Stirling on a Bullseye and was fired on and crashed, AA also opened up. 24.3.1943.

No.11 Gp ORB. AIR 25/194 reports; One Mosquito of 157 Sqdn. on patrol under Trimley Heath was transferred to Bullseye and after obtaining contact of friendly a/c took violent evasive action, crashing into the ground at Bradfield near Colchester. Pilot (Viscount Clive) and Nav/Rad. were both killed. No.11 Group Accidents Reported. AIR 24/576 gives a slightly different version. viz. Aircraft held by searchlight; banked to starboard and dived to earth.

Crew:
    S/Ldr (86326) Mervyn Horation HERBERT The Viscount Clive (pilot) RAFVR - killed
    P/O (139.391) Albert EASTWOOD (obs) RAFVR - killed
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 28th September 2016 at 00:30.

Thanks

Many thanks, I shall pass the information on. I think my contact might have some of this but not other parts, so hopefully will be useful.

Thanks

Hi Mark, Just joined site this morning as I had been out walking this morning and whilst walking through some woods at Bradfield Essex, on a tree about 10' of the ground, was a plaque indication crash of a/c and the Sqn Ldr's name. Came home to do some research and found this information. I am planning to go back and take a picture of the site. Regards Dave

Hi Hellcat, Just joined site this morning as I had been out walking this morning and whilst walking through some woods at Bradfield Essex, on a tree about 10' of the ground, was a plaque indication crash of a/c and the Sqn Ldr's name. Came home to do some research and found this information. I am planning to go back and take a picture of the site. Regards Dave
    Last edited by bruce dennis; 8th October 2016 at 11:25.