Thread: RAF Maintenance Units

Thanks

Default RAF Maintenance Units

Does anyone have Knowledge of RAF Maintenance Units , after searching the Internet i note a lack of Information .

I am very interested in learning what No 359 MU did as there Role in the Scheme of things , This unit were operating in the Far East during 1944 .

Hope springs eternal

TIA Phill Jones

Thanks

Phill, Hi,

The excellent Mr Sturtevant (FT&SU since 1912) gives 'MT Repair Depot' formed 22 May 1944 at Colombo. Disbanded into 342 MU 20 Jun 1945 (342 MU was another, larger, lot of 'spanner bashers'!)

HTH

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Phil,

Maintenance Units (MUs) came in all sorts of shapes and sizes and ranged from depots storing equipment, fuel, explosives, clothing and nuclear weapons to MUs manufacturing compressed gases, repairing aircraft or storing same and during the war there was even one manned exclusively by females!

If you don't have access to AP3397 then go to the RAF Museum website and the RAF Historical Society element and look for Journal 35. A name familiar to you, presented a paper at a seminar in 2004 which describes very briefly how the RAF developed the MUs in the approach to and during the war. Other papers also cover different aspects, including the collapse of the depot at Llanberis and the massive explosion at Fauld.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Peter and Colin ,

Thank you so much for your very prompt replies i am very Grateful

Phill Jones