Thread: F/Lt. George Austin Marshall 60292, 264 Sqn, killed November 8th 1944?

Thanks

Default F/Lt. George Austin Marshall 60292, 264 Sqn, killed November 8th 1944?

Hello everyone

I'm looking for the circumstances around the loss of this Flight Lieutenant of 264 Sqn. The Newcastle Journal has the following two snippets from November 13th 1944:

North East Roll of Honour
    The following have been killed in action:
    Fl/Lt. George Austin Marshall, R.A.F., husband of Mrs. Julie Marshall, and son of Mrs. and the late Mr. G. H. Marshall, of 30, Northcote Avenue, Lemington.

and

MARSHALL, Lemington, 30, Northcote Avenue. Killed on operations, November, Fight/Lt. George Austin (Sonny) Marshall, dearly loved husband of Julie and beloved eldest son of Mrs. and the late Mr. G. H. Marshall (of Newburn).

I can't find a registration district for his death on FreeBMD, but he is buried at Newburn, near Newcastle-upon-Tyne. I've asked the 264 Sqn Association, who were most helpful, but couldn't find anything.

Many thanks,

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon, Hi,
    Malcolm’s excellent RAFWEB suggests that his Death Reg might be in Scotland (thus not on FREEBMD). I’m not on Scotland’s People – somebody who is might help?
    Also killed on the same date/Sqn was Fg Off Frederick Roberts (154435). Death Reg also Scotland.
    So you might be looking for a Mosquito accident in Scotland. Can’t be too many of those? The Scotland Death Reg should give you the area?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 27th September 2016 at 12:44. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Peter for the pointer.

The Scotland's People site is down for maintenance at the moment, but I shall check it out when it's back online (supposed to be yesterday, but as is the way with these things, it's running behind schedule!).

Regards

Simon

EDIT - the National Probate Calendar on ancestry.co.uk has the following on a possible match for Roberts:

ROBERTS Frederick of 101 West Drayton Road, Hillingdon, Middlesex, died 8 November 1944 at sea.
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 27th September 2016 at 12:57.

Thanks

Simon,
    I also had a look on the DH-98 list for a Mossie belonging to 264 Sqn being lost on 8 Nov 1944. Couldn't find one - but sharper eyes than mine may find something? But if Roberts was "lost at sea" then this might be that the a/c came down in the sea just off the coast and the bodies washed ashore a day, or so, later (and Reg on the day they were discovered?).
    TFD
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Yes, that's what I thought may be the case. Until the Scotland's People people have sorted out their gremlins I won't be able to check if indeed they are on their register.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Scotland's People is back up and running, and I can't find either of them on there.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

A quick upate.

The BCAR website has them killed in Beaufighter LZ436 of 254 Squadron, crashed in the sea off North Coates after double engine failure shortly after take off:

http://www.bcar.org.uk/new1944-incident-logs

A quick download of the 254 Sqn ORB, and there they are. From the Form 541:

A/B North Coates armed with cannon only, F/O Gillies leading in 'C' for Recce of convoy route off Frisian Islands. [Six aircraft: 'A', 'B', 'C', 'O', 'W' and 'Y']
    Beaufighter 'A'
    F/L G. A. Marshall
    F/O F. Roberts
    Up: 14.57, F.T.R. [ditched 15.25]
    53 48' N, 02 24'E V.H.F. message picked up from A/254 'Starboard engine cut'. Leader saw port propeller feathered and both engines stopped as 'A' ditched. A/C 'B' sighted M/S to starboard 160/15 miles and was detailed by Leader to intercept. Leader dropped flame float. Dinghy did not inflate. 'C' and 'Y' circled dinghy.
    'B' fired 2 Verey cartridges and signalled S.O.S. on Aldis.
    M/S 'J' 319 signalled on Aldis "How many crew" and 'Y' answered "Two".
    M/S dropped two boats and 5 minutes later on survivor was picked up after which sailor dived overboard and rescued the second. M/S J.319 sent message "One alive, one unknown".
    [and the final entry for that date]
    Information was received from Naval Authorities that the members of A/254 had died on the M/S.

All the douments on the CWGC entries state 264 Sqn for both men.

Regards

Simon

EDIT - from the ORB Form 540 for November 1944:

2.11.44 - Personnel: 60292 F/L G. A. MARSHALL and 154436 F/O F. Roberts posted from No. 5 O.T.U.
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 31st October 2016 at 12:06.