Thread: Air Commodore W Sowrey

Thanks

Default Air Commodore W Sowrey

Hi all

Can anyone shed any more light on Air Commodore W Sowrey. He’s part of the famous Sowrey family. I know he was born 8 Aug 1894 and died 15 Feb 1968. The senior posts he held were

25 Jul 1940 - Officer Commanding, AHQ East Africa
    19 Oct 1940 - AOC, AHQ East Africa.
    15 Dec 1941 - AOC, No 207 (Training) Group.

Commanded RAF/AHQ East Africa during Abyssinian Crisis where the SAAF Wing under his command formed a 'Close Support Flight’, which developed techniques similar to those later to be known as 'Cab Rank' used during the latter part of the war.

Source
    http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/SowreyW.htm

I have a couple of questions
    That’s quite a claim, developing the ‘Close Support Flight’, how much was he responsible for that, and who else can claim that along with him?

And what happened to him afterwards, I believe he retire in September 1942, at 48!

Regards

Fatboy Coxy

Thanks

There is a book about the Sowreys https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sowreys-Rem.../dp/B00B1GSJWS
    Steve

Thanks

Hi

The comments in my entry were taken from Christopher Shores book on the air war in East Africa. Following the conclusion of the campaign Sowrey wrote a report based on his experiences, which included many suggestions later applied in other theatres.

Whether he personnally devised them is unclear but as the author of the report he is credited with them.

Malcolm